PDA

View Full Version : Forced landing Essex yesterday

VP8
4th Jul 2005, 08:27
Just been told by a colleague of a C150 forced landing near Chelmsford yesterday no details as yet :sad:, hope everbody OK..

VEEPS

AerBabe
4th Jul 2005, 08:52
Didn't hear anything about that at North Weald. Fingers crossed...

bar shaker
4th Jul 2005, 10:20
VP8

I live inChelmsford and heard this on the local radio this morning. It didn't mention any casualties.

I've since found out that one person was treated for injuries at the scene and is now in hospital.

Accident happened at Pleshey, near Great Waltham.

VP8
4th Jul 2005, 10:25
Hi bit more info is that it was C152 out of Andrewsfield.

Glad to hear all reasonably OK

VEEPS

bar shaker
12th Jul 2005, 10:49
I thought you might enjoy the local paper's reporting of the incident. Its in true local hack style, if you substitute cricket pitch for school. :) The photo was of G-IRAN (C152) on its roof in a field of wheat.

A pilot has walked away unhurt after his aircraft suffered engine failure and crashed into a corn field.

The man, believed to be in his mid 50s, had taken off from Andrewsfield Airport, near Stebbing, Braintree, when his Cessna aircraft experienced engine failure just before 3pm yesterday just outside Chelmsford.

The quick-thinking pilot managed to land the aircraft in a cornfield near Pleshey Lodge, Pleshey, but the wheels of the plane became stuck in the mud and the plane flipped over on to its roof.

By the time ambulance crews arrived, the man had managed to get himself out and amazingly walked away unhurt. He refused to go to hospital.

The incident happened just behind a cricket ground, where stunned players watched in amazement as the plane plummeted into the field.

Essex Ambulance spokesman Adrian Maasz said: "The pilot did an excellent job in landing his aircraft in difficult circumstances. To come out of this unharmed is both lucky and obviously he's a very skilled pilot."

Kolibear
12th Jul 2005, 11:48
"Plummetted". An excellent word.

No news report about any form of incident invovling an aircraft can ever exclude the word plummet.

It always reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about flying sheep - Ovine Aviation.

"They do not so much as fly , more like plummet!"

Tomrrow, weather permitting, I shall be plummetting on to the runway.

QDMQDMQDM
12th Jul 2005, 16:11
Come on, give them a break. That's not a bad news report, as these things go.

QDM

Mike Cross
12th Jul 2005, 16:17
The quick-thinking pilot managed to land the aircraft in a cornfield the plane plummeted into the field
Monarch will be plummeting me into Dalaman airport next week. I hope they do it gently.

Mike

EGBKFLYER
12th Jul 2005, 16:29
Shame! Glad the pilot was unhurt. Will miss seeing G-SHAH and G-IRAN next to each other - made me laugh

18greens
12th Jul 2005, 18:25
.. and hats off to the journalist for resisting the opportunity to point out how the pilot bravely steered away from the schools, hospitals and fluffy animals.

Kolibear
12th Jul 2005, 19:50
More plumetting, scroll to the bottom of the page for the 'true'story;

Plumetting microlights (http://www.medwayairsportsclub.org.uk/stories/flyagain8.htm)

This incident was 'Ppruned', at the back end of last year.

bar shaker
12th Jul 2005, 20:42
Good grief Kolibear, what a coincidence. I had a coffee and a smoke with 'Mr Umble' this evening.

Laundryman
13th Jul 2005, 07:44
Its rare to stop at the word plummet this report seems quite restrained a recent report of a forced landing local to me had phrases like "Narrowly missed traffic on the A_ _ ", "Onlookers watched in horror","The pilot escaped with his life" etc etc etc. Oh and 'plummet ' of course.

The real story of course was a forced landing fully controlled into a cornfield away from structures and people, the crew and aircraft undamaged but I spose theres no drama in that.

Final 3 Greens
13th Jul 2005, 08:25
If you select flaps 40, glide approach, in a C150, it descends swiftly.

Add a windmilling prop and plummet is probably fair comment.

Well done to that pilot for walking away.