PDA

View Full Version : A little prang at YVR

armada
4th Jul 2005, 03:25
Planes Collide on Tarmac at Vancouver Airport
Josh Pringle
Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:30 PM

Two planes were forced to return to the terminal at the Vancouver International Airport on Sunday after their wing tips collided on the tarmac.

Airport officials say none of the 240 people onboard the two planes were injured.

The Air Canada Dash 8 and the My Travel A330 bound for England were taxiing for takeoff when they hit.

The Transportation Safety Board is investigating the collision.

PaperTiger
4th Jul 2005, 15:52
The MYT 'bus (MDBD) clobbered the tail of the Dash-8.
I haven't seen the results but I'm told it was a substantial doink.

Also the Thomas Cook 'bus had an IFSD and single-engine approach to YVR.

Edited: I'm now told the TC donk failed shortly into the YVR-YYC sector so it returned.

Tan
4th Jul 2005, 21:17
Originally posted by sidewinder

The dash 8 was on L2 just off Lima, the 330 was on Lima going to 08R when the lh wingtip of the 330 hit the rh elev of the 8. The impact tore off half the elev of the 8 and caused major structural damage to the hor and vert stabs ( skins are buckled ) The head structures person from DHC is heading to yvr to asses

Nato 35
5th Jul 2005, 14:48
If its the same 330 that is now back at MAN, then its looking sorry for itself. Taxied past this AM and its left winglet is missing and tip all speed-taped up.

salope
5th Jul 2005, 16:52
It was MDBD ?
Couldnt happen to a nicer aircraft
Registered for Marge Deavall and Bryan Deavall

Middle Seat
5th Jul 2005, 18:14
anyone know of any photos of this little ding-up? I've checked airliners, Vancouver Sun and the CBC and came up with nothing.

PaperTiger
6th Jul 2005, 15:51
YVR is quite anal about airside photos, and the Dash went to lie down in the hangar in fairly short order.

Nato 35 (above) reports the 'patched' A330 was at MAN later so maybe some of the local spotters shot it there.

Nightmale
6th Jul 2005, 17:51
You might struggle to see the 330 in MAN, it's in normal service with the winglet removed for repair. The winglet isn't required for normal operation it just saves fuel.

Nato 35
6th Jul 2005, 20:49
It might be back in service now but it was in MAN yesterday with speed tape in place. I guess to get it back from Vancouver.

sdac
11th Jul 2005, 13:33
It is in regular service, with the wingtip still missing. Increases fuel burn by 1 %.

Company SOP call before taxiing changed to "Clear left (right), no Dash 8s"

PaperTiger
31st Aug 2005, 18:10
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 855NW Make/Model: A320 Description: A-332
Date: 08/29/2005 Time: 2110

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
NORTHWEST AIRLINES, NWA5, N855NW, AN AIRBUS A332 ACFT, CLIPPED THE HORIZONTAL STABILIZER OF ANOTHER ACFT, HORIZON AIRLINES, HORIZON QEXA65, A DH-8 ACFT THAT WAS PARKED ADAJENT TO THE TAXIWAY AWAITING A GATE, NO INJURIES REPORTED, DAMAGE TO THE NWA 5 IS UNKNOWN, DAMAGE TO THE QEXA65 IS SUBSTANTIAL, PORTLAND, OR

Farrell
31st Aug 2005, 22:58
"The head structures person from DHC is heading to yvr to asses"

Do you mean the asses that hit the Dash? :E

Farmer 1
1st Sep 2005, 07:09
"The head structures person from DHC is heading to yvr to asses" I'm dying to know - is this person a brain surgeon, or a shrink?