PDA

View Full Version : Holding at PIGOT

Midland 331
3rd Jul 2005, 16:54
Hello Folks,

Maybe a blindingly daft posting, and I'm not in your industry but...

Can anyone suggest in what circumstances and how frequently the new PIGOT hold for East Midlands might be used?

I would have thought that EME/EMW would be able to absorb most of the traffic. As it seems to do from occasionally with up to 12 inbounds close together some evenings. Or so I recall.

I can only think of a scenario such as a sudden runway closure, or delays due to snow clearance, etc. In which case I'd guess that most commanders may decide to divert.

This is all driven by the fact that my inlaws live in the vicinity of the new PIGOT/UPDUK pattern, and there is quite a strong local feeling of "yikes, the skies will be full of noisy aircraft". I think they fear VC10s and TU154s batting round at 3000ft, not realising that they will have new generation aircraft at FL80 and above.

bd331

almost professional
3rd Jul 2005, 20:08
the circumstances you outline are just those that are most likely-in normal ops at the present traffic levels it is most unlikely that either hold will be in regular use-in fact as far as I am aware there has been only one aircraft in the hold and that had a problem the crew were trying to solve-you would be suprised at how much dis/misinformation there is regarding the airspace changes!

Evil J
3rd Jul 2005, 21:00
Are we allowed to use the holds then boss:confused: :E :E

Midland 331
3rd Jul 2005, 21:22
"you would be suprised at how much dis/misinformation there is regarding the airspace changes!"

"Almost Professional":-

Quite! - Hence my question. I couldn't forsee a situation where they would be used.

I dimly recall a "freight rush hour" just before midnight at EMA, which seemed to be the biggest "bulge" in inbound traffic during the working day. And the controllers seemed to do an excellent job in spacing the arrivals through extended routings, etc, etc. So no need for holding at that time, it appears.

Ironically, the whole PIGOT/UPDUK area is smack under what used to be Amber One, so some of the earlier generation aircraft are more of a noise intrusion at higher levels on the airway than the later generation stuff would be in the hold.

However, I think that the airport are not doing themselves any favours in not making the changes much more clear to Joe Public.

There is also a concern about a new BPK SID which involves overflying parts of East Leicestershire. Again, more grumblings of heavily-ladened freighters waking whole villages up. Just a decent map with an explanation would go long way...

Thanks for the responses!

bd331

almost professional
4th Jul 2005, 10:11
the airport has widely consulted on the changes, including roadshows with the ATSM present to give the ATC input, but no matter what you tell people some will not believe or will listen to uninformed rumour-the BPK sid will be hardly ever used-in fact we had the first aircraft use it last set of night duties and it was the cause of some amazement to the watch concerned!
EJ
yes you may-but make sure you log it and tell Neil!

Midland 331
5th Jul 2005, 08:04
"AP",

There are PDFs of documents on the 'net, but most are the official documents, and hard to wade through.

Granted, there is a very good "brochure" with pictures of the new tracks, but it's well hidden away.

Dad-in-law is on the Parish Council in Kibworth (just about smack in the middle of the PIGOT racetrack), and he did not know about the exact ground track. And Kibworth seems to be the epicentre of the "skies thick with aircraft" outcry.

Noise? Bring back the Merchantman and sit the protesters in Kegworth when one of these launches at max. weight on a warm night....aaahhh! (goosebumps)

Thanks for the replies

almost professional
5th Jul 2005, 09:04
I will pass on the comments to the environment dept and ATSM at work and see if they can get additional info pushed out

Midland 331
5th Jul 2005, 09:29
Thanks!

They may want to give some thought to the visibility of the NEMA website to search engines, as all the "anti" stuff comes up first.