PDA

View Full Version : Most Dangerous Job, Pilots ranked 3rd.

F900B
14th Jun 2001, 06:03
Thought this be interesting to post for you fellow ppruners.

Relative Risk Rate is the fatality rate for a given group divided by the fatality rate for all workers. A rate of 2.0 means the worker is twice as likely as the average
worker to die on the job.

Fishers 21.3
Timer Cutters 20.6
Pilots 19.9

Average All Jobs 1.0

Here is the link from the statistics where taken from.

http://www.governmentguide.com/issues/dangerjobs.adp

wallabie
14th Jun 2001, 06:39
With a 4 am wake up I do feel I am about to buy the farm !

Ignition Override
14th Jun 2001, 08:38
No: our life insurance for transport flying supposedly costs no more than for those who work inside a cubicle with no moving landscape, or windows.

Maybe that applies to crop dusting and those patroling Iraq's northern borders-or the Chinese coast, that is, the Communist Chinese coast, where any very stable and heavy 4-engine patrol plane can easily outmaneuver a supposedly nimble Chinese fighter.

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 14 June 2001).]

BackSeatPilot
14th Jun 2001, 10:10
F900B,

Thanks for the link. I was initially wondering what timer cutters were (visions of bomb squaddies designated to get rid of the timing mechanism).

:)

BSP

"Watch out for that tree!"

lame
14th Jun 2001, 12:05
When you say that pilots are twice as likely to die on the job, you don't really mean actually "on the job" do you? You mean at work........

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

Evo7
14th Jun 2001, 12:22
This survey is the sort of pointless cr*p that shows why statistics are either the bl**dy obvious or damn lies. Did they really need to point out that electrocution is the leading fatal accident for electricians, or that falling off roofs tends to kill Roofers?? They even include cashiers, which it says are less likely than average to result in a fatality at work, in the list of most dangerous jobs.

Surprise, surprise. Working in an office building, I'm less at risk of being killed at work than a pilot. Took a PhD in the bl**dy obvious to work that one out. Now, add in my commute to work. Still reckon you are 20 times more likely to die during the working day than me?

SOURCE: Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics - Compensation and Working Conditions Online

By appointment to HM, purveyors of the moronic and pointless to the uncaring.... ;)

Thrust
14th Jun 2001, 13:41
Come on guys and girls...... with a little carelessness or criminal negligence we can top this list! Get to work....

Bunty Boy
14th Jun 2001, 14:17
F900B,

Any idea where train drivers come into it?

gas path
14th Jun 2001, 14:18
OH NO!
Your not going to ask for danger money now are you? :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Bally Heck
14th Jun 2001, 14:26
Hmmmm. 111 airline pilots killed in the USA in aircraft accidents in 1995. Did I sleep through that year? Or did the USA experience a masive carnfest of aircraft accidents which went unreported by the press or the authorities. Good lord that's fifty five and a half boeing loads of pilots in twelve months. If it carried on like that for the following six years they'll have no aeroplanes left!

t'aint natural
14th Jun 2001, 16:59
Some years ago (about 12) a report showed that the biggest single accidental killer of professional pilots in the USA that year had been chainsaw accidents. The report pointed out that many pilots were affluent enough to own a bit of land, had time on their hands, were fit and vigorous enough to want to take on the job of clearing their land, and didn't have the first clue about the dangers of chainsaws.

Kaptin M
14th Jun 2001, 17:07
97% of ALL people who die, wear their watch on their LEFT wrist - I've changed mine to the RIGHT!!

FL390
14th Jun 2001, 17:40
That's probably because 97% of the population is right handed! :)

con-pilot
14th Jun 2001, 18:48
No silly, that's because only 3o/o of watches made are left handed.

Invalid Delete
14th Jun 2001, 21:35
97 % of statistics are made up on the spot. :).

Source : I made that one up too.

------------------
Invalid Delete Say "Late Pax : Off with their Heads !!!"
"....OK, well start with their bags then..."

Capt. Chaos
14th Jun 2001, 21:43
What about Cave Divers : 25 % Mortality rate ?????
What about Drag Boat Racers : Dunno the %age but it was pretty high on the Jeremy Clarkson Program the other night ?

Perhaps the pilot figure includes data from the previous few wars (Kamikazi's etc).

------------------
Don't Talk to me About 'Him'

Luftwaffle
14th Jun 2001, 21:50
Bally Heck, not all commercial airplane pilots fly for the airlines. Airline pilot is one of the safest pilot jobs in the world. You never have anything that is not a part of the airplane strapped to the outside of your airplane. You almost always take off and land at radar-equipped, controlled aerodromes. You have another competent and trained pilot sitting next to you. You don't spend the non-flying parts of your fourteen hour duty day loading cargo. You're not expected to take out a chainsaw to clear spring growth from the landing area with a chainsaw -- and t'aint natural has pointed out how dangerous chainsaws can be in the hands of professional pilots.

Bally Heck
14th Jun 2001, 22:06
My point exactly Luftwaffle. I suspect that if 111 "Airplane pilots" bought the farm in the USA in 1995, the vast majority, if not all of them were amateur pilots.

I don't think flying as a leisure pursuit can be considered an occupation and therefore this statistic in common with 78.437 percent of all statisitcs (including that one) is complete tosh.

If on the other hand the statistic is true (and this in itself is a statistical improbability) I'm getting another job. I have no desire to throw a seven quite yet.

212man
15th Jun 2001, 00:44
EVO7,
don't airline pilots commute to work as well?

The term airline pilot may be used to describe a holder of an airline transport pilot's licence, hence the high rate. It doesn't mean that PPLs are included, but could include small charter stuff as well as rotary. Just a thought.

------------------
Another day in paradise

Pielander
15th Jun 2001, 02:50
I was just checking out the Endsleigh website, and according to their online quote system, they have commercial pilots on a higher car insurance band than "office workers". (Mind you, it also quoted me a higher price for third party only than for TPFT at one point).

Smellster
15th Jun 2001, 05:23
3rd most dangerous, nonsense.

The only really dangerous part of my working day is the drive up the M1 from London to Luton 'please bulldoze me as soon as possible' Airport!!

Slasher
15th Jun 2001, 07:04
Smellster, come fly in Vietnam and China for a week or two and (if you survive) youll see why its ranked 3rd!

Spinnerhead
15th Jun 2001, 07:17
They are obviously talking about GA pilots flying around in clapped out buckets of puss in crappy weather at night with navaids that only sort of work, and no GPS because the owner of said aircraft thinks they are too expensive and totally unnecessary(takes a breath). And flying into unsealed, unfenced, potholed, storm rutted airstrips frequented by cattle, pigs, roos, horses and rednecks driving trucks, utes and motorbickes etc.

All of the above done with a hangover because you got pissed the night before due to cellibrating the fact that you survived the previous days flying.

I feel much better now.

newswatcher
15th Jun 2001, 11:58
Since these stats refer to 1995, I thought I would see if the NTSB/FAA had any detailed analysis. Unfortunately, although their daily bulletins differentiate between crew and pax, I have yet to find this detail for 1995.

However, using their classification, there appear to be 5 fatal accidents for "commercial" aircraft, involving 171 fatalities, and 412 fatal accidents for GA, involving 727 fatalities. If one assumes that an "occupation" is paid work, I don't know where the 111 figure came from.

Any "professional" statisticians out there?

Fast Bacon
15th Jun 2001, 13:53
I don't know how this compares with GA or Airline types but as a military jet pilot I have to pay a 400% premium on my life insurance. I would be interested to know if anything similar applies?

ORAC
15th Jun 2001, 20:00
You think flying is dangerous, Just watch out for those tea cosies!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=005192866103339&rtmo=rQtkmrFX&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/6/7/nacc07.html

The danger that lurks on your kitchen table
By Robert Uhlig, Technology Correspondent

READING this story is more likely to damage your health than using a chainsaw, according to a Government report that also warns of an alarming increase in the number of accidents caused by tea cosies, place mats and socks.
If you are also wearing wellington boots while holding a loofah and standing near a birdbath, then the chances of even finishing this sentence uninjured are worryingly small. The latest report from the Home and Leisure Accident Surveillance System, published by the Department of Trade and Industry, reveals that in 1999 leaves, birdbaths and sponges and loofahs posed far more of a menace to health than rat poison or meat cleavers.

Printed publications injured far more people than chainsaws - 4,371 compared with 1,207 - while tea cosy injuries almost doubled in 1999, up from 20 in the previous year to 37. However, the report gives no details of how these apparently innocuous household items managed to hurt people admitted to hospital.

The frightening scale of the menace posed by wellington boots (5,615 injuries) and sponges and loofahs (966) becomes clear when the same report reveals that meat cleavers caused 329 injuries in the same period and 439 people were harmed by rat or mouse poison.

The report, compiled by logging the accidents reported by people admitted to a sample group of hospitals and then extrapolating estimates for the whole country, found that the number of people going to hospital after a trouser accident is worryingly high. In 1999, trousers caused 5,945 accidents, 808 more than in 1998.

The trend was balanced only by the drop in injuries inflicted by armchairs, down from 18,690 to 16,662. Nevertheless, armchair injuries "leave little room for complacency", New Scientist says today, adding that injuries inflicted by vegetables "remain unacceptably high" at 13,132. Hospital admissions caused by socks and tights rose from 9,843 to 10,773, while birdbath accidents almost trebled to 311.

Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said: "We never cease to be amazed by the way in which people manage to injure themselves, but it remains the case that home accidents are still the major cause of injuries in this country. Nearly three million people are injured in the home every year and 4,000 of them die."

Dry Martini
15th Jun 2001, 21:18
I remember some years ago visiting a car insurance office for a renewal, and upon mentioning "Airline Pilot", found that a good half of the insurers available disappeared off the computer screen due to "high risk".
No trouble more recently thank goodness.

The drive to/from work at "stupid o'clock" is definitely the most dangerous bit.

metrodriver
15th Jun 2001, 23:13
cashier jobs are risky bussiness, see the fatallity rate at gas stations and seven-elevens. My most dangrous parts of the job are the drive to and from the airport and walking up and down those wobling scary stairs (freight dogs don't park at a nice jetbridge and apparently don't even deserve a solid stair)

shytalk
15th Jun 2001, 23:19
I bet its not through overwork!!!!!!
Jeez, you'll be trying to tell us you are underpaid next.
GET A LIFE

Spooler
16th Jun 2001, 00:54
What a load of hoof

If the punters got wind of the fact that the people flying them were thwenty times as likely to die flying than joe public I don't think you would be leaving the gate looking at a lot of faces pressed to the departure lounge window doing the hail mary, having not boarded the plane. This report is a waste of public money, and the chap or chappesse was probaly killed watering his birdbath wearing wellis. mmm

Sensible
16th Jun 2001, 01:36
Relax guys, they mean REAL pilots who ACTUALLY FLY, not you guys who think they fly!!! The chances of a Boeing or Airbus pilot fatality is about almost NIL. Just look at the NTSB reports!

ShyTorque
16th Jun 2001, 02:25
Shytalk,

Talking of getting things;

How about an original username?

ShyT

P.S. In a previous job (Heli SAR, Far East) myself and colleagues were refused life cover / permanent health insurance by most companies.

[This message has been edited by ShyTorque (edited 15 June 2001).]

fly4fud
16th Jun 2001, 14:04
Come on guys, flying IS bloody dangerous, everybody knows that :)
But, the nice thing about being a pilot (PPL-ATPL) is that YOU make flying safe, this is the real challenge.

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

Hwel
17th Jun 2001, 14:46
It can't be that dangerous, I get a 25% discount on my medical insurance. (or do they reckon i'll go staright to the morge?)

whats_it_doing_now?
17th Jun 2001, 19:33
That's the funniest post in ages hwel!!!