PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going to Canada/USA for PPL?

Shaft109
3rd Jul 2005, 12:08
OK people this is the situation:

I have about 45 hours on the Grob109B (Tail Dragging Motor Glider) nicely paid for by the Air Cadets, But i can only count 10 hours towards a PPL so I start with some advantage anyhow.

Now i want to do a PPL as the (potentially) first step on the ladder to a CPL but that is in the future, and i also want to go travelling to the USA /Canada so as the Clash song says

"should i stay or should i go?"

Would it really be worth doing it in the states or doing a PPL here (probably at Barton) as a foundation then going abroad to hour build? Im sure it would be an adventure either way but i just want to be aware of the pitfalls before hand e.g. getting a visa post 9/11 for flying training etc.

Also N America is a big place where should i start, i was thinking Pacific North west as they have similar weather and airspace to Britain.

Costs. Yes the good old brass question would i save by going there in the long run or cost more to convert back at the end?

Now i know i can rely on fellow ppruners for top notch advice.

Cheers for reading such a long winded pile of crap.

Gerhardt
4th Jul 2005, 18:36
There is something to be said for getting away and doing your training away from home. If you do opt for training in the U.S. I'd opt for one of the well known schools in Florida. There are great schools in other states (California, Arizona, etc.) but Florida has the bonus of terrific weather and beaches not too far away.

On the flip side, the benefit of doing your training where you are is that you'll be more familiar with the procedures you'll use career-wise (assuming you'll return home to work, although that's not necessarily true). You'll also develop a network of friends/associates that might be able to help you along.

Best of luck!

Paris Dakar
5th Jul 2005, 16:34
Shaft109,

I went the USA route 10 years ago and did my PPL (CAA - as it was then) at a well known Florida flight school and I paid a fraction under 2K then (+ airfare £300), the school offers the JAR PPL for less than 3K now.

Once home in blighty I duly joined Newcastle Aero Club (now defunct) and after a checkride of less than an hour I was signed off to explore Northumberland on my own.

There are several things to take into account before you make your mind up:

1) Are you able to take a month long break from your current commitments?

2) Are you sure than an accelerated course is suited to you personally?

If the answer to those questions is yes - then it's worth considering. A little advice - do your homework and check out the schools at your preferred destinantion, and do as you have - ask PPRuNers for hints / tips relating to a specific school. Write (or e-mail) to the schools and ask them to send you their info pack.

If you decide that the UK route is more suited to your needs then jump into a car and visit your preferred options - at least it offers you the chance to have a face-to-face natter (and a coffee) with your prospective instructors.

If you don't already thumb through Pilot mag or Flyer, get down to WH Smiths and pick up a copy of each and look at the various Ads in the back.

I looked at Canada as an option but couldn't find a school at that time that offered the UK course. The US way worked for me but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Hope that helps a little.

PD:ok:

BroomstickPilot
5th Jul 2005, 17:19
Shaft109

If Pacific Northwestern has Wx like the UK then don't go. The whole idea of going to the States is to get away from British Wx.

I started to revalidate a long expired PPL in the UK last June. I still haven't completed it, purely because of Wx, and it has cost me a B****y fortune.

Use the search facility on this website to check on the various schools in Florida, Texas and Arizona. There are some splendid ones and some terrible rip-off merchants. Choose carefully.

It doesn't matter which PPL you get, as long as it is issued by an ICAO country. You don't need to look for a school offering the CAA PPL. With a US PPL, you can still go on to get a JAA ATPL.

Don't bother with CPL it is more difficult than ATPL and very much less use. Read my post on the CPL in the Pprune archives.

Good Luck, Kid.

Broomstick.

Shaft109
5th Jul 2005, 19:21
"If Pacific Northwestern has Wx like the UK then don't go."

Sorry was less than clear on this, i meant that training in the UK style marginal weather could be advantageous over continuous clear skies, but then again not for an accelereated course. It won't make much difference to me as from day one i've flown in Lancashire's finest drizzle, haze and wind all in one hour! So lessons and experience have been gained anyway.

As for going to the states i have the impression (i'm probably wrong here) that the emphisis is more on the practical side of things as opposed to the theory and this appeals to me.

Cheers for the advice so far.:ok:

p.s. Am getting itchy feet at the mo- and it's not athlete's foot.;)