PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

The Big 'M'
1st Jul 2005, 18:08
A question that relates to an every day flight planning and navigation tip. Recently a friend and I, both low time PPL's, planned a tip to the USA with the intention of a ten day tour of the lower half of the US. Understandably we had a check ride or two prior to the keys being handed over to us. Now, I completed my PPL in1990 in the UK at Biggin Hill, a busy airport then and have continued flying off and on (more off then on) but at a small airfield in Kent.

I threw in the US bit above as Top of Climb (TOC) came into flight planning. I understand that at a known power setting you will use a certain amount of fuel for the Taxi and then at full power, climbing to ay 2500' you will use a bit more for that side of the PLOG, but when is one meant to start the stopwatch running for the navigation bit? I have always climbed to say O/H a local town and then started my navigation PLOG, saying to myself "oh, brakes off five minutes ago" as noted separate to the PLOG. I've never said "right, 5 mins taxi, 10mins climb so should be TOC at 11.15 then 11.30 over railway" for my next position fix. Is this just splitting hairs or am I missing the point, as that slightly red face and empty feeling of when you should know the answer just prior to the check ride and you don't, well it's just not British.

The Big 'M'

jamesharlow
1st Jul 2005, 18:15
Stick with what you were tought in your PPL course. The most accurate departure for a X-country is the Standard Overhead Departure, and is especially good for low houred PPL's. Otherwise do the Straight Out Departure. If you want more info on these, mail me. Remember - Keep it simple.

bpilatus
1st Jul 2005, 18:49
M, it's not clear whether you are enquiring about fuel burn, timing or whether to start navigating from a known position or the o/h.

Fuel burn during taxi shouldn't amount to much, unless it's a big field and you get lost! I would be happy to calculate fuel burn from take off. I'm probably going to land with at least an hour left anyway.

Timing - start wherever you feel comfortable. eg o/h the field or a nearby landmark. I think you might be complicating a fairly straighforward matter.

Chilli Monster
1st Jul 2005, 20:11
Why not calculate distance for TOC and mark it on the chart? You know your climbing airspeed, calculate the groundspeed. Use a nominal 500fpm and you'll know how far you've gone for the level climbed to.

Use TOC as your first waypoint and start your leg timing from there.

As for fuel burn - use the POH. The figures for taxi/take-off and time for climb are all in there.