PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Headset Connectors?

faraaz
1st Jul 2005, 15:39
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a headset for when I start flying and I was wondering what is the normal standard for connectors in cockpits? Is it still the 2 pin jack setup or is it something else...I have seen 5 or 6 pin XLR style inputs as well, what's used the most?:confused:

Thanks a lot for your help!

faraaz
1st Jul 2005, 15:41
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a headset for when I start flying and I was wondering what is the normal standard for connectors in cockpits? Is it still the 2 pin jack setup or is it something else...I have seen 5 or 6 pin XLR style inputs as well, what's used the most?:confused:

Thanks a lot for your help!

tony norman
1st Jul 2005, 15:55
because i dont know every aircfraft out there i'll be a bit loose in my answer but i believe that most training aircraft will have a two jack set up one for the mike and one for the headphones. one will be slightly larger in diameter so as not to confuse which is which.

hope that helps.

justsomepilot
1st Jul 2005, 19:52
Normally, one has the standard two jacks (one for the headset and one for the mike).

Single connectors tend to be either military (or ex mil) or they are used on aircraft-powered ANR headsets.

For example, the Bose X headset can be obtained with jacks (with an inline box with a battery in it) or with a single multipole aircraft-power connector (with the headset being powered from the aircraft - much better)