PDA

View Full Version : Isles of Scilly - Worth a visit?

Oscar Kilo
1st Jul 2005, 14:57
Just a quicky - just wondered if anyone has done the trip to the Isles of Scilly? Looks like a nice place to see, just wondered what it's like as a fly in destination.

Anyone been/have any advice for the first timer?

Fuji Abound
1st Jul 2005, 16:10
Yep - went last year - great place for a visit.

The Isles seem pretty enough but it was only a few hours visit for us.

From a flying point of view I think the only noteworthy point to make is that the approaches are reasonably interesting and quite capable of catching out a low hours pilot I would have thought. The airport is best described as being perched on a dome shaped mound with cliffs on each side. In consequence shear and turbulence are both likely and the socond half of the runway is lost on late final because it is the other side of the hump!

I seem to remember their were refueling issues but that might just be becasue we had planned to refuel elsewhere. Worth checking. For a stop enroute, depending where you are coming from, Perranporth was great with a lovelly approach over the cliffs if the active is from that directiong.

If I had not been to the Isles before I would certainly give them a call first with the TAF, METAR in hand just to check on the local conditions on the approach on the day, unless the weather was very benign or you were already comfortable with places like Alderney.

andrewc
1st Jul 2005, 23:54
The other potential gotcha is that the airfield is closed to non-local aircraft on Sunday's.

-- Andrew

Rood
2nd Jul 2005, 07:30
Went there at the beginning of June with a mate and it was a great trip.

Stayed overnight and must be only place you can see your plane parked from anypoint on the island pretty much.

However as the others mentioned its got some potential pitfalls.

No fuel available so you definitely need to refuel elsewhere. Nearest is St Just, Lands End.

You`ll find it best to be good at short field landings and takeoffs as the runways undulate somewhat. I really wouldn`t recommend landing on 09/27 either. We did in a PA28 and landing on grass uphill followed by a sudden change to tarmac downhill is a little scary as the runoff area was a cliff.

Our inability to see the Scilly Isles from overhead Lands End also proved fun. The compass, VOR and GPS were watched like hawks until it came into view. On the way back it was clear as a bell which made it very easy.

Despite the caveats it was still one of my best ever land aways and if the weather is in your favour worth doing at least once. Its a very nice place.

Flyer Flier
3rd Jul 2005, 08:11
Very much worth a visit,
You can see some photos here
Scilly Isles trip (http://www.airclark.plus.com/Scillies.htm)
Hope it gives you a flavour of the place, we are very much looking forward to flying back when we have some time.
Regards
FF

Oscar Kilo
3rd Jul 2005, 19:37
Thanks everyone, sounds like it's got to be done if/when we ever get some decent weather.

Love the pictures FF, definately makes me want to brave the sea crossing/unulating airfield, looks great.

Thanks again all,

- OK