PDA

View Full Version : C duct closure

The Weasel
24th Jul 2001, 04:50
Does anyone else out there in ppruneland carry out duplicate inspections (RII's) on closure (and associated function checks) of thrust reversers which double as engine cowlings? Typicaly B757's.

Ali Crom
24th Jul 2001, 11:26
As you well know BA doesn't have a requirement to carry out a dupe for closure or to function the t/r post c-duct closure. I can only assume this is because the amount of people required to actually close them with respect to the older 'c' engined powered a/c would far exceed the usefullness of a dupe less the extra certification stamp.
I suppose it would be quite difficult to dispatch one of these a/c with the c-ducts unlatched baring in mind the baulk design of the hinged doors covering the latches.

Having said that it was probably never imagined that a certain roll-on roll-off car ferry would ever be allowed to leave port with its bow doors open.

Golden Rivet
26th Jul 2001, 22:52
Hi there weasel

In aircraft maintenance anything is possible and the great law of Sod usually prevails. Not quite C-Ducts but check out the following extract from this air accident investigation report -

As the aircraft rotated for take off, both fan cowl doors detached from the No 1 Powerplant and struck the aircraft. The doors were destroyed and localised damage resulted to the No 1 Powerplant and its pylon, the left wing, the left flaps and slats, the fuselage and the fin. The evidence indicated that the doors had probably remained unlatched, after having been closed following maintenance prior to the accident flight and had been torn off their pylon attachment hinges by aerodynamic forces as the aircraft rotated. There are no conspicuous cues to indicate an unlatched condition when the doors are closed and no flight deck indication. Three walk-round inspections had been conducted after the doors had been closed.

After this the repective maintenance org quickly added fan cowls to their list of dupe inspections.

It is also interseting to note the AAIB recommended that the CAA also made it a requirement for similar aircraft types !

I dread to think what would happen if a C-Duct came off !!!!
:)

BobTheRocker
27th Jul 2001, 14:14
If indeed the fan cowls were unlatched in this incident, it would be interesting to know what the "three walk-rounds" consisted of. If your doing a walk-round prior to departure the engines are one of the main items to check! For this to be missed three times is p**s poor. I would be feeling pretty guilty had I departed it, what was the aircraft type, where did it depart from?

Golden Rivet
28th Jul 2001, 15:12
full AAIB report can be found at
http://www.aaib.dtlr.gov.uk/bulletin/jul00/gvced.htm

[ 28 July 2001: Message edited by: Golden Rivet ]