PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Islands and Highlands

Fournicator
28th Jun 2005, 16:47
Please forgive the similarity of this thread to another already running, but I'm interested in organising a flying trip for myself and maybe a few friends for later this summer, up north of the border.

What makes this thread subtly different to the existing one is that my emphasis is not on Whisky (hate the stuff I'm afraid), but some exciting and interesting flying. I already plan to attempt to visit the 10,000ft runway at Campbelltown and the beach airfield at Barras, but any suggestions for other interesting places to visit or fly over would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

CosmosSchwartz
28th Jun 2005, 19:19
Bit of a trek but Sumburgh runway 33 has to be flown to be believed!

Tinstaafl
28th Jun 2005, 21:31
Also in Shetland:

Out Skerries: 381 m. No undershoot areas. Obstacles on both ends of the stripin line with the centreline (a lighthouse & another island for Rwy 27, a ridge~ 50 m from the threshold for Rwy 09. Lies in a small valley between two hills/ridges Strong turbulance if wind

Foula: 400m or so. Not safe to use if the wind is >15kts from SW-clockwise-NNW or if Easterly. Humped with a fairly steep slope for the first 50 m on Rwy 36.

Fair Isle: Owned by the Nat. Trust. 450 m or so. Not useable if wind is Northerly > 20kts or if from a rock formation to the S. ('Sheep Rock') > 20 kts.

Unst: Quite normal! Also the UK's most northerly airstrip.

helicopter-redeye
28th Jun 2005, 21:57
Most of the fields up there are great. Go to Islay and Tiree as well (both next to beaches). Campbeltown is a bit of a dump of a place and the field is v remote.

Glenforsa has an en suite hotel and good grass. Jura has an unidentifiable airstrip unsuitable for pony grazing. Also Skye Broadfield and Plockton should be included.

Fuel from Oban (only) so most trips may require a star pattern from here.

If you are around in W2 of August, watch out fro red helicopters as I'm going to do the same thing!

h-r:)

Ops and Mops
28th Jun 2005, 23:45
I have had the opportunity of experiencing the strips at both Whalsay and Out Skerries...although it did cost me a few glasses of Guinness in Mooney's (remember those days Tinstaafl?! ;) :p )

Basing yourself out of Inverness for a week or so will allow you to explore the more scenic parts of Scotland without worrying about trying to get fuel! Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles are all within reasonable reach from there!

Tinstaafl
29th Jun 2005, 13:27
Avgas can be available at Tingwall (the closest airstrip to the main population centre of Lerwick, Shetland). Need to pre-arrange it though. The fuel stocks are owned by Loganair for their Islanders.

Avgas & avtur is definitely available at Sumburgh.

When did I take you to Out Skerries, O & M? Obviously before I moved to the US. My memory of nearly all those flights has blurred into a pastiche. Bit like trying to remember any particular drive to work.

What did you think of the strip?

Ops and Mops
29th Jun 2005, 15:30
Tinstaafl,

Our little sojourn was when the Islander was based out of Sumburgh temporarily a couple of years ago and I was up North visiting our mutual friends from "Some B*gger's Tower"! :E

Hope things are going well for you across the pond! I miss our exchanges over the RT, especially where cows on the runway are concerned! :ok: :p

Chippik
30th Jun 2005, 15:50
Kirkwall would be a great place to base yourself, it has fuel and accomodation nearby plus there is a weekend landing card which (for £25) entitles you to unlimited landings and free parking
you can check it here

http://www.hial.co.uk/kirkwall-airport.html

they are friendly and helpful there as well very GA
friendly

Glenforsa is another great strip and with oban not far away you dont need to worry about fuel to much

Crashondeck
30th Jun 2005, 20:51
What about Benbecula for fuel and then do a tour around St Kilda? Adventurous (but only 40 miles from Bennie) and not many people have a photo of St Kilda in their log books. Try Stornoway too for fuel and a night stop. The local brewery makes some good loony brew.

Floppy Link
30th Jun 2005, 23:27
the beach airfield at Barras

It's Barra

The Barras, although undoubtedly Scottish, is something different altogether...a market area in Glasgow, good for dodgy CDs etc but not much runway length at all...
:ok:

helicopter-redeye
1st Jul 2005, 14:21
Barras

In fact, in North Yorkshire at the Western End of Stainmore ...

Don't believe they have a beach there (or a Beech)

Fournicator
1st Jul 2005, 14:49
Thanks for the suggestions - I stand corrected on the Barra issue.

Best wishes for happy flying weekends to you all, hoping for good weather at the Waddo airshow!

Bearcat
1st Jul 2005, 14:51
we did the glenfosa run from EIWT recently. Wx was at best not great. Bitten friggin alive by midgets.....BTW does every one in Scotland call a Stella Artois a wife beater or is the rename particular to the local area?

Maude Charlee
2nd Jul 2005, 11:09
If you think the midgets are bad, wait until you get bitten by the midges. :D

Droopystop
2nd Jul 2005, 13:37
There was I thinking that Stella Artois aka Wife Beater was a universal thing.

Fournicator
4th Jul 2005, 16:01
Yep, I've frequently ordered a pint of 'Beater' and never been misunderstood, and I'm from daaarn saaaarf.

drambuster
4th Jul 2005, 16:10
A Scottish pilot chum of mine flew this area for several years ... and he raved about Plockton!