PDA

View Full Version : Flight in a Hawk?

ossie_lation
28th Jun 2005, 16:40
Got the big 40 coming up next year and want to do something that I will be unlikely to do again!!!!
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a flight in a Hawk in the UK? Would be happy to make a charity donation. I'm assuming there is no chance but it just happens to be my favourite jet.
If you don't ask you don't get so I've asked.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jun 2005, 18:01
Having managed a few hours in them in my comparative youth, I agree - stunning aeroplane. Sadly however, the odds are badly against you.

There are however opportunities to fly other military jets, such as the JP, Hunter, L29, L39 - look around the net and you should find something with similar performance that you can buy some time in.

G

stillin1
28th Jun 2005, 18:02
Do a little surfing for apropriate addresses and then ask direct. you r right - chances are slim to nil, but you never know! Need a better reason than a charity donation though - there are hundreds that will pay a small fortune for the ride. Soz to be a downer - but thems the facts :)

18greens
28th Jun 2005, 20:02
The old Hunter has to perform on a par with the Hawk. (not so we'd notice the difference anyway)

Flights available on request from Delta jet at kemble or those guys at Exeter (hawkerhunter.com) for about £2000. Bargain!! and you'll be helping keep a bit of classic british avaition history going to boot.

Unless you become very blond, sprout appendages and get a job as an international model you've got pretty much no chance of a trip in HM jets inc. If you don't fancy the operations your only other two chances are to become a very famous motoring journalist or minister for defence, that would work.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Jun 2005, 21:11
Go for the 2-seat Hunter; the only swept wing jet cleared for inverted spins. :O

Or, for sheer grunt, get down to South Africa and have a go in Mike Beachyhead's 2 seat Lightning. :E

For my big one (the 5-0), I got a flight deck ride, sitting immediately behind the captain and in in front of the FE, in BA Concorde, G-BOAD, pushback to shut down, mach 2.02 and 60,000 feet. That's one no-one can do now.;)

But I still fancy that Lighning:ok:

SSD

What's a Girdler
28th Jun 2005, 22:25
I managed to get 8 flights in Hawks at Valley with 208 and 74 squadron in 1998, however I was a member of the RAFVR (University Air Squadron) I have to say that you have no chance of getting a trip, especially with the current shortage of mil flight hours.

It was an awesome experience, but at the same time bloody exhausting and bloody unpleasant after about 10 minutes sitting as a passenger in the back seat (sustained +5G is not a nice experience). The nausea was unbelievably intense and by my last flight I felt so ill that I vowed that was that for fast jets. Got some awesome photos though!!

Have you ever thought of getting a flight in a SU26 or Extra 300? Now that is fun!! Much cheaper too!!

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
29th Jun 2005, 07:45
Unless of course a Hawk were to appear on the civil register.

Genghis - you aware of anyone who has tried to do this?

crap pilot
29th Jun 2005, 09:33
If i had the money it would be a MiG25 flight from Moscow upto 85,000ft at over mach3. To be on the edge of space and see the curveture of the Earth must be amazing! Will set you back £8-9k though.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2005, 09:46
Genghis - you aware of anyone who has tried to do this?

Nope. I suspect it wouldn't be impossible, but to misquote Mrs Beeton "first catch your Hawk".

G

helicopter-redeye
29th Jun 2005, 10:40
Go to ZA and fly the Lightning. Rand = weak. Lightning = FAST. 40 = one only.

ns. h-r:)

down&out
29th Jun 2005, 17:40
Agree Hawk is a fab a/c - I got my 7 trips at RAF Brawdy when I was in the UAS. Included dropping bombs on the Welsh - great fun:}

Out of interest one pilot who took me up was just off a tour on harriers and I asked him what he thought the differences between the handling of the two was. He said the 'arrier goes has twice the power and can stop!

So given you can't get in an 'arrier either, I'd go for the Lightning in Cape Town - must be awesome! PS- can you pay for me too?

Have fun

D&O

Julian
29th Jun 2005, 20:21
Isnt there a privately owned Hawk at North Weald airfield?

Julian.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
30th Jun 2005, 06:57
Not that I know of.......
Gnats, Hunters, JPs......but no Hawk

Julian
30th Jun 2005, 11:13
97th, aha yeah was thinking of the Gnat.

Julian.

ossie_lation
30th Jun 2005, 12:11
D&O
Would love to pay for you if my pound stretcheth that far!
Have emailed the crowd in SA about the Lightning and cost!!
Does sound awesome.
Don't the Red Arrows have the odd spare seat in between shows?
Where's Jim'll fix it when you want it!!!

PPRuNeUser0172
30th Jun 2005, 19:29
"Don't the Red Arrows have the odd spare seat in between shows"

Doubt it mate but why dont you ask..........:E

There is another way although it'll take you a while, first you have to complete EFT, get streamed Tucano, get your wings, get streamed again, just in case they mucked it up the first time. Then you finally get to start flying the Hawk.

Total cost = a little bit of blood, plenty of sweat and a few tears.

BEagle
30th Jun 2005, 19:54
Well I thought the Hawk rather a weedy little thing after the Hunter and the Gnat. In fact it was scathingly termed the JP Mk 6 by many.

Get yourself a trip in a proper aircraft such as a 2-seat Hunter and experience true swept wing flying.

Megaton
1st Jul 2005, 10:09
You might have a chance of a trip with the Reds in winter if you're serving aircrew with HM Forces or you're sufficiently powerful, talented, attractive or popular to make a positive contribution to RAF PR .

18greens
1st Jul 2005, 12:51
I've just seen that Alan Titchmarsh riding in the back of a Hawk. So that proves it , anyone can get a go in one.

Dear Mr RAF , I would like to film all of the castles of england in one hour using my Handicam (It has to be in one hour cos I can't afford more than one tape). It will be on telly. When can I go?

ossie_lation
1st Jul 2005, 12:51
Dirty Sanchez
Tried that route when I was younger and despite giving me a flying scholarship didn't make the grade at officer selection so it wasn't through want of trying! Their loss!!!!!
Now fast approaching 40 unless the application criteria has changed I've probably more chance of winning the lottery and buying one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now just trying to think of a publicity stunt to benefit the Red Arrows!
Ossie

CBLong
1st Jul 2005, 12:57
Having done the Thunder City Lightning flight, I'd certainly recommend that as a great experience. Having said that, even my pilot for the Lightning trip said he preferred the Hunter for sheer fun, and you can also do a lot of low-level silliness in one of their Buccaneers... I'll certainly be back down there once I've saved up enough pennies again.... :)

Photos here (http://www.oview.demon.co.uk/lightning/), if you're interested.

MichaelJP59
1st Jul 2005, 13:04
The Lightning must be some experience - saw it on "John Nichols flies..." on Discovery Wings.

Always struck how disturbingly narrow the tyres on the Lightning main undercarriage are. Still they must work OK I suppose.