PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you work?

TE RANGI
27th Jun 2005, 08:48
Now that all July rosters are out and for the sake of comparing fellow pilots lifestyles around the world, I think it might be interesting to run a simple exercise:

Could you volunteer to tell us a few details of your July's work, such us operator, fleet, position, base, hours, positioning, night stops, days off or any other info you may consider relevant.

OK, I'll start;

JUL 2005
Operator: JK
Fleet: A320
Base: PMI
Flight Time: 74:50 (+ 6:30 deadhead)
Days away from Base: 12
Days Off: 11 (+3 days rest)
Roster Stability: Dubious

JT8
27th Jun 2005, 09:19
JUL 05
Operator: Ezy
Fleet: 737
Flight time: 96 hours (despite leave at start of month)
Days away from base: 0
Days off: 16 (includes 4 days leave)
Roster stability: good
Tired? definately

Waggon rut
28th Jun 2005, 07:35
JUL 05
Operator: XLA
Flight time: 78
Away from base: 2 days
Days off: 18 (includes sby's which I can do at home, so I think of it as a day off)
Roster stability: fair
Tired? yes, too many night flights (80%)

Flex33
28th Jun 2005, 08:48
Jul 05
Operator MYT
Fleet A320
Flight Time 75:05
Away from Base 0
Days Off 8
Roster Stability Excellent. Stability window -2 & +3 hours on
roster. However, the crewing
department prefer to ignore this when
it suits them.
Tired Always
Leave 9 days
Flying duties 11
Nights 5
Duty hours 100:05

Alistair
28th Jun 2005, 08:52
JUL 05
Operator: Ezy
Flight time: 107:50 hours (yes, that is correct)
Duty time: 165
Sectors: 58
Days away from base: 4
Days off: 10
Roster stability: something will change, but generally good
Tired? aren't we all?

(edit to add duty time & number of sectors)

Prince Buster
28th Jun 2005, 13:08
I thought the max block hours was 100h in 28 consec days???:hmm:

Bealzebub
28th Jun 2005, 13:19
It is, but July has 31 days ! :p

msexyjet
28th Jun 2005, 13:58
ezy 60 sectors and 120.15 rostered flying hours this is norm for lgw based this could lead to 80 sectors as there are 7 days of 2 sector days
knackered
stressed
no life
minimum rest
oh and loads of money
no time to spend it

princebuster

we dont have max hours? crewing dont no about that one
perhaps a phone call should be made

May roster 40 sectors 81.51 hours and 17 days leave work that one out

Scottie
28th Jun 2005, 14:09
Jul 05
Operator: EZY
Flight Time: 59hrs (no leave)
Away from Base: 4 days
Days Off: 11
Standbys: 6
Roster Stability: very good
Tired: No way!

Flying Quill
28th Jun 2005, 16:39
EZY
Block 80
12 days off
4 nights away
some stbys (= daysoff)
stability: excellent
Tired? Probably at various points during the month, but generall ok.

Jack's a dull boy
28th Jun 2005, 17:00
GSS
Block 60
17 nights away
11 days off, (never less than 20 days work per month, including Feb)
0 standbys
Hours away from base 420
Tired? - lost a large proportion of those few days off to sleep and jet-lag. Then back to work.

haughtney1
28th Jun 2005, 17:58
AEU
Block 77hrs
8 nights away
8 days off
3 standby
125 duty hours
stability..improving all the time
Tired?...not really, every overnight flight followed by a rest day.

TopBunk
28th Jun 2005, 18:34
Dull Boy

I suspect you are counting all TAFB as Duty, beacuse I cannot believe that you have 60 block hours and 420 Duty Hours.....

Jack's a dull boy
28th Jun 2005, 19:00
correct .

JaJaBinx
28th Jun 2005, 22:20
Hi Guys
Cathay Cargo
747-200 manchester
60hrsflight time. 14 days away
16 days home
roster instab. only downroute
plenty of nights on the beer in dubai/HK
not bad really

POL.777
29th Jun 2005, 07:33
ESK
B735
97:20 block
11 days off. 0 standby.
3 nights away from base.
Roster changes frequently.
Tired: not really.

Pointer
29th Jun 2005, 07:57
Jul 05
Operator: GSM
Flight Time: 112 Block
Away from Base: 0
Days Off: min8
Standbys: 0
Tired: Not realy (yet)!

POL.777 good to see that you got in, how is my previous club doing?

Pointer :E

POL.777
29th Jun 2005, 08:46
dobre dobre :D
It's nice and friendly.

cargo boy
29th Jun 2005, 09:58
Jul 05
Operator: VS
Fleet: B744
Block Hours: 80.5 (approx 10 of which will be 'bunk' time)
Nights downroute: 8
Days off at home: 14 (18 nights)
Standby days: 0
Roster stability: as a rock
Tired: Not really but jet-lagged all the time. Makes a good excuse for those afternoon 'naps' I frequently need when you get to my age. :zzz:

The above equates to 4.5 trips: LHR-JFK (0.5 of a trip as it crosses the month boundary); LGW-MCO (twice); LGW-NAS/HAV (position between Nassau and Havana); LHR-SFO.

Duty hours away from base shouldn't be counted as we are still 'off-duty'. They are counted as 'time away from base'.

Company has very high Balpa membership with good, incremental basic salary, even better hourly flight pay, tax free cash allowances downroute and contracted to an annual flying limit of 750 hours. Add to that excellent staff travel benefits and agreements with almost every other ICAO airline worldwide.

The downside? The amount of time it takes from disembarking to getting on the crew bus when arriving as US airports with 18-22 crew. Everywhere else not a problem. :rolleyes:

d192049d
29th Jun 2005, 10:41
My heart bleeds for you all.....

Just to ground you all in the real commercial world we work

60 hours a week!!

Weekends off technically but invariably have to catch up on those items that I was unable to during the week

Employee responsibility, HR (what a nightmare), Budgeting & planning etc

Be very grateful that you are doing something you love and are getting paid for it and when you get home you can forget it whilst you are off at least until the next duty day because the job is still getting done whilst you are off.

Danny
29th Jun 2005, 11:43
d192049d, before you enter the fray and cause a massive derailment of the threads intention, and I'm sure you'd know this if you were experienced in 'the job', block hours are not to be equated with groundlings '9-5' plus overtime working hours. Block hours, just to make sure you and all the other shocked outsiders are aware, are the hours from push-back to brakes-on back on stand.

The last time I had to defend this was with a certain paedophile who was pretending to be an aviation expert and entrepreneur who insisted that the only time pilots actually worked was from push-back until the autopilot was engaged and then the opposite at the other end. Flight crew also have to report for work at least an hour and often longer, especially in long haul, before the scheduled time of departure. In case you may not have thought this through completely before posting your statements above, you must remember the time that it takes to turn around an aircraft on multiple sectors and also the time it takes a crew to finish off their duty at the end of their shift.

It is still slightly amusing when you get pax who assume that you are going to get off the a/c after they have left and will, a la 'Mile High' (tv farce), be spending the next few days in a drunken, mass orgy with your fellow cabin-crew in a five star resort hotel. From the tone of the post by d192049d, it would probably be fair to assume that the mention of 60, 80 or 100 block hours a month is the total hours worked. I respectfully suggest that those who feel aggrieved at the hours we work go and look up the meaning and the difference between 'block-hours' and 'duty-hours'. :rolleyes:

Oh, and before I forget, you too can have cushy job like ours with minimal working hours and all the associated glamour by doing exactly what we had to do... scrimp and save, remortgage your life, do the studying, training and all the tests and exams before the catch-22 slog of trying to get on that bottom rung of the employment ladder and then suffering the seniority system and terrorists that cause you and your colleagues great career harm with their inconsiderate mass murder using our tools of the trade as their weapons of mass destruction! :rolleyes:

The simple answer to anyone who sees our 'whingeing' as fortunate when compared to their mundane 9-5 existence is to tell them to get off their @rses and get a licence!

d192049d
29th Jun 2005, 12:11
d192049d, before you enter the fray and cause a massive derailment of the threads intention, and I'm sure you'd know this if you were experienced in 'the job', block hours are not to be equated with groundlings '9-5' plus overtime working hours. Block hours, just to make sure you and all the other shocked outsiders are aware, are the hours from push-back to brakes-on back on stand.

I am aware of this Danny as my partner flys and has done for 17 years both Long Haul & Short Haul, so I feel qualified to comment...

The last time I had to defend this was with a certain paedophile who was pretending to be an aviation expert and entrepreneur who insisted that the only time pilots actually worked was from push-back until the autopilot was engaged and then the opposite at the other end. Flight crew also have to report for work at least an hour and often longer, especially in long haul, before the scheduled time of departure. In case you may not have thought this through completely before posting your statements above, you must remember the time that it takes to turn around an aircraft on multiple sectors and also the time it takes a crew to finish off their duty at the end of their shift.

Again I am aware of this for the reason already stated which is why I still maintain you need remain grounded when discussing your working week by comparing it with the 9-5's as you term it. By the way what is that and why mention the word paedophile in the context of my post?

It is still slightly amusing when you get pax who assume that you are going to get off the a/c after they have left and will, a la 'Mile High' (tv farce), be spending the next few days in a drunken, mass orgy with your fellow cabin-crew in a five star resort hotel. From the tone of the post by d192049d, it would probably be fair to assume that the mention of 60, 80 or 100 block hours a month is the total hours worked. I respectfully suggest that those who feel aggrieved at the hours we work go and look up the meaning and the difference between 'block-hours' and 'duty-hours'.

It may be amusing but having attended a number of such parties down route I can testify that they do happen with the exception of the orgies. As to what this has to do with my post I do not know as I never mentioned anything about this. Calm down Danny my post was meant as a commercial world context to help stop you all feeling hard done by.

Oh, and before I forget, you too can have cushy job like ours with minimal working hours and all the associated glamour by doing exactly what we had to do... scrimp and save, remortgage your life, do the studying, training and all the tests and exams before the catch-22 slog of trying to get on that bottom rung of the employment ladder and then suffering the seniority system and terrorists that cause you and your colleagues great career harm with their inconsiderate mass murder using our tools of the trade as their weapons of mass destruction!

Danny I would admit complete admiration for all of you who have made the sacrifices you have, that said slightly off topic and perhaps a sign of a little anger in your response me thinks. However it is not just the flying world where such sacrifices have to be made and most careers have the long tortuous path to the top you describe

The simple answer to anyone who sees our 'whingeing' as fortunate when compared to their mundane 9-5 existence is to tell them to get off their @rses and get a licence!

Have a licence and fly for fun when I have the time. Perhaps not so high but just as enjoyable.

The Puzzler
29th Jun 2005, 12:15
Puzzle me this....

Hey Danny, you forgot about all the sims we have to do! ;)

Scottie
29th Jun 2005, 12:56
Lets get this thread on back on track. If you want a bun fight start a new one please.

d192049d you're not qualified to enter this thread so no offence but go peddle you're twaddle elsewhere.

<edited for spelling!>

d192049d
29th Jun 2005, 13:17
I am not the one doing all of the cycling....

The African Dude
29th Jun 2005, 13:23
Maybe he meant peddle? Either way...

Engineer
29th Jun 2005, 14:39
d192049d you are right in what you say, but as you can see by some of the replies you will be harangued if you disagree with the elitist faternity :{

In defence the honest reply is that it is money for old rope and if you can do it for a living go for it.
It is worth the studying and if self financed, the money invested.

Not sure what other employment field you can be paid a good salary for working 900hrs maximum per year. If it was not the posters in this forum would be doing something else :ok:

IRISHPILOT
29th Jun 2005, 15:05
Jul 05
Fleet: B733
Block Hours: 40.5
Overnights: 0
Days off:18
Standby days: 0
Roster stability: what's that again?
Tired: of boredom.

Engineer: with 900 hours of work per year, people would only do maybe 400 hour block time, which happens to be true for my company, however, this is very, very unusual (especially on short to medium haul).

Did you mean block hours? if you did, it's more like 1500 working hours. And 900 may be the max in your country, but local regulations allow for well over 1000 block hours per year here. - remember, JARs are not law.

Is the GBP1100 after tax we all get in this new EU country really that much, especially when you consider the money going straight to the bank?

nice thread, thank you very much! cheers, IP

Scottie
29th Jun 2005, 15:10
But when you tally up the DUTY HOURS we're working well past the 9-5 fraternity.

Big Tudor
29th Jun 2005, 18:45
Possibly not Scottie. The average 9-5'er will work 1850 hours per year, based on a 40 hour week. With the extra half hours added on 'for the company' most will work over 2,000 hours in a year. EU directive prevents aircrew working more than 2,000 hours in a year.

Bumblebee
29th Jun 2005, 22:39
Jul 05
Operator: BAW
Flight Time: 73 block
Away from Base: 5 nights
Standbys: 6 days
Tired: yep...min rest at home is getting a bit tedious

:hmm:

Hunter58
30th Jun 2005, 08:16
Although I find the 'us' versus 'them' a little bit silly I would like to add one aspect most people here did NOT notice.

Even if most 9-5ers might over all get a slightly longer duty time than the ones up in the tincan (I have never worked 9-5, it looked more like 7-7 or so), on the ground you very seldom have to work at times that go against your body clock.

I guess any long distance pilot (as cargo boy already mentioned) will be able to confirm the jet-lag does create some fatigue. Personally I am always amazed how crews can professionally fly an aircraft again after the rest time while I hesitate if I really should take that rental car to the office or have someone pick me up or actually try to sleep a bit more...

And now back to topic...

Human Factor
30th Jun 2005, 12:12
Jul 05
Operator: BAW
Fleet: 777
Flight Time: 78:45 block
Away from Base: 12 nights
Days Off: 14 including leave.
Standbys: 0
Roster Stability: fixed, pretty much.
Tired: The above includes eight Atlantic crossings so .... yes!

airshowpilot
30th Jun 2005, 13:17
June 05
Fleet: ATR42/72
Flight Time: 80:00 block
Away from Home (base can vary): 21 nights
Days Off: 8
Standbys: 0 (this month)
Roster Stability: changes regularly, very difficult to plan anything
Tired: Depends, we have a mixture of scheduled flights/charter and freight. Scheduled flying (daytime) is no problem and certainly a dream compared to the fatigue of night freight!

Working for a small company, the salary is poor...halve what you would earn net on the right hand seat of a 737 in pounds and then imagine being paid that amount gross in Euros (I'm serious)! The good news is that I work with fantastic colleagues, in fun locations and I'm building hours quickly. I work long hours and many weekends, but my lifestyle is fantastic compared to my previous life...

haughtney1
30th Jun 2005, 13:44
As someone who is relatively new to the world of commercial aviation in the UK (thanks Danny by the way). I think I have a rather unique perspective of coming from my work background of manual labour jobs....corporate relations....marketing....and plus a few other things besides.
Presently Im flying short/medium haul..(see page 1 of this thread)..and I can honestly tell those who scoff...its bloody hard work!...pilots dont wear as a badge of honour their flying hours, duty time, or indeed time off spent down route.
Perhaps those who scoff should try dodging thunderstorms...dealing with foreign ATC (english not spoken well)...10 working hours spent at 8500ft in 30% humidity....constant delays....grumpy cabin crew....night flights on minimum rest, and thats all I can think of in my presently knackered state.
So far as where this sits on the scale of effort vs energy....its the hardest I've had to work ever!!, remember scoffers..if we get it a bit wrong, its all over the papers the next day.

pax britanica
30th Jun 2005, 13:48
Excuse me as an SLF commenting but perhaps impartially

I think many -especially more senior managers- work much longer than pilots even when you take duty time and related non flying work hours

But that ist the point-I do not want the guy or lady up front bringing me back to LHR at 2100 on a February night with a 35 knot southerly wind and pouring rain to feel like I often do at the end of a long working day or working week.

I am sure you all work pretty darn hard and I am sure the job has its ups and downs ( whoops) like all others but you are pilots and you are directly responsible for many many lives-very few executives can cause mayhem and death as an immediate consequence of one bad decision (and thank god for that) Therefore its only right and proper and logical that there should be restrictions on how long you work because the hardest part of your job tends to come at the end of the days work pretty much all the time.

I ve spent way too much time away from home to know the glamour and novelty value wears off fairly quickly as well so if thats a 'perk f the job' it is very debateable and at least I am allowed a few drinks,

So if you didnt mind me intruding-I read the thread as I interested in how 'tired' you folks assesed yourselves. I dont think any comparisons with ground jobs are remotely relevant - I think one poster pointed that out , the idea of the thread was to compare like with like not apples with oranges or just generally complain.
PB

LLuke
30th Jun 2005, 15:43
July 2005
Operator: KLM
Flight Time: 66 block
Away from Base: 10 nights
Days Off: 13 *)
Standbys: 4 days
Roster Stability: Very good.
Tired: Only the day I arrive home, next day is usually ok.

*) We have 11 days off per 28, but they are not always nicely spread, hence the 13...

JEANS42TRF
30th Jun 2005, 15:58
Fleet:A320
Block time: 82:40 Hrs in 10 days of flying.
Days off:10
Stdby:3
Roster stability: we need "some" flexibility...
Tired: sometimes yes.
In general I may not complain .

Da Dog
30th Jun 2005, 19:10
Company:BAW
Fleet:747
Hours: 89
Away from Base:12 nights
Days Off:15
Roster Stability: Excellent

5 night flights in amongst that, knackered, not really but will need some afternoon naps on my days off
:ok:

edited to say hours are 89, can not seem to rid myself of the geek in glasses:rolleyes:

GULFPILOT76
30th Jun 2005, 20:28
company: TFL
blockhrs : 63.00
STBY's : 7
D/O : 9
Nights : 6
Naggered: Only after long haul through 4 or more timezones

Company had to more or less start again from scratch, so a very mild program this month. Usually it's back and forth over the ocean, now more European flights are coming which is very nice for the bio-clock I must say.

flat-tire
30th Jun 2005, 21:37
June 2005
Operator: A. Eagle
Fleet: EMB 145
Base: ORD
Flight Time: 95 block
Days away from Base: 13
Days Off: 8
Standby: 2
Roster Stability: RSV Line
Poor and Tired

Megaton
1st Jul 2005, 06:39
Jul 2005
Operator:
Fleet: Dash 8
Base:
Flight Time: 99 hrs block (90-odd sectors!)
Days away from Base: 3
Days Off: 10
Standby: 0
Roster Stability: Rubbish
Poor and Tired

Edited to note that just after posting this originally my roster was changed ....again but this time for the better so now only doing 91 hrs this month. Six sector days - don't you just love them?

Puritan
1st Jul 2005, 08:37
Following covers 28 day roster period from 20th June 05 -

Operator: Astraeus (AEU)
Fleet: B757
Duty: 123 hours
Flying: 88 hours
Sectors: 11
Night Flights: 4
Standby's: 1 ( which is still pending, so the other figures stated above might yet increase )
Days off: 12 ( of which at home = 8 / down route = 4 )
Roster stabilty: pretty good
Feel knackered ?: Not really

c130jbloke
4th Jul 2005, 10:10
JUL 2005
Operator: RAF
Fleet: VC10
Base: BZZ
Flight Time: 35:00 - 65:00 (estimated)
Days away from Base: <10
Days Off: 8 (hopefully)
Roster Stability: Horrendous, and I am the section Leader!!
Feel tired: Yup, depending on how busy we are. I am also acutely conscious of it in my guys. 3/4 wends will be worked, and is an issue with some of the family men/ women.

Gufo
5th Jul 2005, 08:41
July 05
Operator: Air One (AP)
Fleet: B733 & 734
Duty: 154 hours
Flying: 70 hours <-- Horrible duty/flying ratio
Sectors: 58
Nights away from base: 6
Night Flights: not this month; we usually get three nights freight flying every one or two months.
Standby's: 4 ( STBYs have let's say 40% chances to be employed )
Roster stabilty: decent
Feel knackered?: Well.. Flying the Bus was more comfortable :sad: Anyway, we get LOTS of check-in at 6am or so (10 this month): that's the main issue. The good part is that by 3pm you're done! :ok:

Mato1
5th Jul 2005, 11:31
July 05

Operator: CSA (OK)
Fleet: B-737
Base: PRG
Flight time: 85:25
Duty: 155:03
Standbys: 2
Sectors: 44
Roster stability: Stable

jetjockey737
6th Jul 2005, 14:51
EZY
B737
F/O
Block 103
3 Days away from base
Roster stability generally OK
Tired: Not sure if I remember how it feels not to be!!

last month 73 hours with 11 days leave!!!:uhoh:

4r7f
7th Jul 2005, 07:07
Cargolux

9 off + 1 rest

20 days away
64 hrs block

it sucks

Liftdumper
7th Jul 2005, 09:01
Operator: Tyrolean
Fleet: CRJ
Block: 70:15
Duty: 138:56
Off days: 11
Away nights: 7
Sectors: 40

Waspy
7th Jul 2005, 09:03
SN Brussels Airlines

Average 65 hrs block/month
Average 8 days (nights) away.
8-10 days off.
Very stable roster. 2-3 reserve days every 2 months ( that's the only unstable part).
Can't complain, apart from belgian salary....;)

dalflyer
7th Jul 2005, 15:47
JUL 2005
Operator: dal
Fleet: 767er
Base: JFK
Flight Time: 83
Days away from Base: 12
Days Off: 19
Roster Stability: OK for now

Helli-Gurl
10th Jul 2005, 10:42
My EX-BF used to have a cushy time at BA on long haul, being quite senoir, got all the far east stuff so lots of time off etc etc....since then he decided to go to the triple, I think the extra money they throw at you give him eyes bigger than he had the stomach to handle...

Now I get is whinging as he has to fly a plane he doesn't want to fly, to places he doesn't want to go, probably as there are less opportunities to mis-behave down route ;), still I sure he's found a web site or two to fix that, and he only gets 1/2 nights and has to do more trips as they're for the most part shorter.

I know guys that would give their right arm for an opportunity like that....still no pleasing some people! ;)

xx

atyourcervix73
10th Jul 2005, 10:56
oucheee

:uhoh:

trietwentie
10th Jul 2005, 11:34
July 2005
Operator :EZY
Type :A319
Block : 95hrs , 42 sectors
Duty : 139 hrs
Days off :11 days
Nightstops : 1 (usually none)
Roster stability : reasonably stable, some duty days change 4-5 times/month from 2 to 4 sectors and vice versa,sby`s to asby`s, contactables to sby`s and so one.
Tired: not during days off.
Always knackered from earlies, 2 sectors usually, sometimes 4 ( 3 out of 5 check-ins at 5.05 local, others just after 6.00).
Late duties, 4 sectors usually, much easier on the bus.

Not a bad job, but mostly a stepping stone unless something changes.

N1 and ITT
10th Jul 2005, 12:03
Jul 05
Operator: HLF
Type: 737
Block: 86
Days off: 13 (incl. 2 for June)
Nightstops: 6
Roster stability: 2-3 changes per month
Stbys: none this month, usually 3-5 days
Tired: I'm more the night-guy. So not really happy with the 5am's... (approx 8 per month)

cargoflyer
13th Jul 2005, 14:57
[quote] 4r7f wrote

Cargolux

9 off + 1 rest

20 days away
64 hrs block

it sucks
[/unquote]

Correction

Actual FO Roster JULY05 :cool:

Cargolux

14 off + 3 rest

12 days away
48 hrs block

life is beautiful

meaw
13th Jul 2005, 17:49
Operator: Air Canada (AC)
Type: A319-320-321
Base Montreal
Block: 83 Hours 23 mins
Night stops: 9
Days at work: 15
Sectors:21
Days off :15 (no reserve days when you have a fixed sched)
Stability: usually excellent except when weather starts getting involved

Tired: yes when I do redeyes 1 or 2 per month or very early mornings but does not impact my days off

What to do?
13th Jul 2005, 19:26
Hullo

Is it usual for long haulers to get half a month off? Sorry to change things slightly, but it's still part of the 'how hard...' Toss the reply in with a roster!!

Cheers

Helli-Gurl
14th Jul 2005, 14:51
It is if they pull sickies.....my ex would be aable to tell you all about that one to ;)

x

Seriously tho, I know my dad used to bid for trips that were all in the first half of a month then have the back end of that month off, the next month he'd bid for trips that were at the back end of that month, so he'd get a virtually a month off, meant he was working hard for amonth straight but at least he got to spend time with his wife and kids

xx

JetSitter4
6th Aug 2005, 10:21
Ouch!!!
Reading these posts I realize that Euro pilots work their a.. off. :(

My Company Average:
80 hrs pay guarantee (will NOT fly over 80) (71 reserve)
65-79.9 block
11-16 work days/month
trades/seniority allow for much flexibility

My schedule:
I work 6on-1off-6on-1off-1on after trades (worse case) on a13 day month.
After vacation, half the year I work 10 days/month (6on-1off-4on)
I commute once a month to base and can get 15-40 days OFF in a row!
ALL overnights on base or 5-6 overnights on ETOPS

PEACE :ok:

Cruise Alt
6th Aug 2005, 12:01
JUL 05

Operator: FCA (Recruiting now!)
Base: UK (one a/c base hence more stable than larger base)
Block: 68 hrs
Duty: 131:40
Days away from base: 0
Days off: 11
Days Standby (90 mins avail, rarely called): 6
Roster stability: Last change 2 months ago
Weekends off: 0
Deep night flights: 4 (I would like to see "you have great job" posse doing some of these!)
Wild parties down route: Started commercial flying in Feb 99 and still waiting!
Bank balance after 6 years in commercial flying: -£42,000 - we dont get paid doing our training unlike the accountants.
Enjoy the job: Yes - Coz I like flying!

10002level
6th Aug 2005, 17:11
AUG 2005
Fleet: B737
Base: LPL
Flight Time: 98.10
Duty Time: 153:15
Sectors: 48
Days away from Base: 0
Roster Stability: NIL
Tired? YES

The Real Slim Shady
6th Aug 2005, 17:47
AUG 2005
Operator: TUI Belgium
Fleet: F100
Base: BRU
Flight Time: 98.56
Duty Time: A tad more
Sectors: 36
Days away from Base: 0
Days Off: 13
Roster Stability: Total
Tired? Only at the end of a long day

TE RANGI
7th Aug 2005, 18:58
Here's what August holds for me:

AUG 2005
Operator: JK
Base: PMI
Flight Time: 75:00 (+12:40 deadhead)
Duty Time: 115:35
Days Away from Base (i.e. layovers/night stops): 11
Stand By: 1
Days Off: 10 (+5 days rest)
Roster stability: Good so far. Not too sure about Aug, though.

Riker
7th Aug 2005, 19:06
Slim Shady,

Check your PM.

Te Rangi,

Yeah, but you get to live in PMI (paradise)... Check your PM too.

Qatari515
7th Aug 2005, 20:51
Operator: Qatar Airways
Fleet: A330
Base: OTBD
Block: 94hrs
Duty: 118 Hrs
Days away from base: 18
Days Standby (90 mins avail, rarely called): 2
Roster stability: Non existant due to crew shortage
Weekends off: 1
Deep night flights: 12
Wild parties down route: About 1/3 rd of the layovers. If not with own crew there usually are other crews to meet in the crewlounges all over the world. Biggest favourite: TAM crew!!!!
Bank balance: brake even almost after 8 years of flying. Wont last long though haha
Enjoy the job: Yes - Coz I like flying!

ElNino
7th Aug 2005, 22:47
The plan for Aug 05

Type: 146
Base: Dublin
Sectors: 43
Block: about 70 hours
Duty: usually nearly double block hours (very long turnarounds and some incredibly inefficient duty days)
Nights away from base: 11
Days Standby: 1
Days in sim: 2
Roster stability: good
Weekends off: 2 partial weekends
Wild parties down route: used to be better, depends on cc
Tired: not too many earlies, so not usually.
Enjoy the job: mostly, would prefer to be doing it in an boeing/bus though!

16 blades
8th Aug 2005, 01:22
Posted for comparison:

XXX 05
Operator: RAF
Fleet: C-130
Base: LYE
Block Hrs: 78
Duty Hrs: 200+
Sectors: 122
Nights away from base: 31
Days off: 3
Days Standby: Constant
Roster Stability: What's that?
Weather: Hot & Sandy
Allowances: 2 cans per night
Wild Parties: NIL, but plenty of mortar-inspired 'get togethers' in a bunker
Pay: Less than a BA Newhire F/O
Tired: Absolutely ******
Flying: Awesome
Enjoy the job: Hell yes!

*some details omitted to preserve anonymity

16B

exvicar
8th Aug 2005, 14:49
Virgin
4 trips, no trans-atlantic this month
15 days working
16 days at home
block 78 (including several in the bunk)
3 weekends at home (not always the case)
standby none (tend to do 1 month every 18ish on standby)
roster stability excellent compared to previous employer
tired not really
generally fun people to be away with

fdgolf
8th Aug 2005, 21:30
AUG '05

OPR: ANS
Fleet: CRJ200
Block: 100 Hrs
Duty: 200 Hrs
Sectors: 60
Flight days: 16
Nights away: 11
Standby days: 2
Free days: 10 (could rise to 12, depending on roster)
Stability: Very good, very little changes.

Cheers :ok:

TE RANGI
14th Aug 2005, 16:15
Thank you ladies & gents to all those who cared to reply.

I've just worked out the averages (from 744 to ATR) in case you wish to see what side of the line you stand on.

Here it is for 1 (Northern) summer month:

Average Block Hours: 82.0

Average Duty Hours: 136.4

Stand Bys: 2.3

Days Away From Base: 7.5

Days Off: 11.6

Of course there's far more to it than the simple math to determine
how hard you work. Not all hours are the same, as no all days off are equal. But that would be another debate.

BizJetJock
16th Aug 2005, 22:10
On the other hand.....

Operator - self employed freelance
Jul 05
Took the whole month off to go sailing.

I like this job.

prez
17th Aug 2005, 07:05
Opr: FDX

Fleet: A300

Block: 28 (Pay based on 75:53, paid 97:07)

Duty: 270

Sectors: 11 (of course, we call them "legs")

Nights away: 8

Days off: 16

Stability: Company - Excellent. Roster - seniority system
Excellent

theWings
17th Aug 2005, 09:31
BizJetJock,

I think you've got the right idea there!

Please check your PMs.

hollywood285
17th Aug 2005, 10:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUG '05

OPR: pfp
Fleet: c152
Block: 4-5hrs= £320 I PAY
Duty: 240hrs worked
Sectors: 0
workdays: 26
Nights away: 0
Standby days: 31
Free days: 4
Stability: Very poor, pay not bad

A jobs a job, mouths to feed etc, I wish I had the balls to get 60k for training, and go into a very unsecure job market, how do young pilots with a young family sleep at night??
I take my hat off to you all!!! even though I like flying round at 2000ft watching the world go by!!

eazyflite
23rd Aug 2005, 14:44
AUG
Operator: Hapagfly
Fleet: B 738
Base: Munich
Block: 93hrs
Nights away from base: 4
Days off: 12
Days Standby 0
Roster stability: 1 change,good
Weekends off: 2
Deep night flights: 2
Positionings/Proceedings 3 /7:35 ,1/4 is paid as overtime

Overtime starts from 60hrs

Crewlife not very exciting

jumpy737
23rd Aug 2005, 20:27
Operator: WestJet
Fleet: B 737NG
Base: Calgary
Block: 78hrs
Nights away from base: 8
Days off: 16
Days Standby 0
Roster stability: Excellent
Weekends off: 2

Overtime starts from 80hrs

Rosters published on the 20th of every month and almost never changed. Average 14-19 days off with 6-15 nights away from base. Excellent lifestyle in exchange for lower salary. Stock options and profit share make up remainder of compensation. Upgrades have been within two years but slowed now to 2.5 years. MUST have 4000 hours TT to get an interview.

HundredPercentPlease
23rd Aug 2005, 22:19
Base: UK
Block: 109 hrs
Duty: 190 hrs
Nights away from base: 0
Days off: 8
Days Standby 1
Roster stability: Moderate
Mental state: poor