PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge-IOW

TotalBeginner
23rd Jun 2005, 18:42
Had my PPL for nearly a year now, and after taking all my friends flying, and a few short hops to nearby airfields I feel it's time to start venturing further afield.

Was hoping to take a trip from Cambridge to Bembridge, but I must say I'm unsure of the best route to take around the LTMA. Was thinking a route such as EGSC BKY BPK EGTB WOD EGHJ

Navigating past Farnborough, Blackbushe and Odiham looks like it could be tricky??

Advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

bpilatus
23rd Jun 2005, 20:06
No this way is very tricky. Why you not fly straight down; east of Gatwick and then turn right to IOW?!? If you fly the way you say you will have many problems with ATC. This way is far to hard. Stay to the left (east and straight) and make live easy.

EddieHeli
23rd Jun 2005, 20:36
Can't see the problem with your route personally,
I've flown the bit from from WOD down through Farnborough several times and they've always cleared me through the MATZ.
I fly from Sywell, so its virtually straight down to WCO then WOD for me and then south from there through Farnboroughs zone before going east or west depending where I'm going.
Farnborough will clear you through Odiham, then you can speak to Solent for the rest of the way.
If you want to avoid getting too close to Heathrows zone you could go CFD WCO WOD instead of BKY BPK. That allows you to go above 2500' as well if you prefer.

windy1
23rd Jun 2005, 20:41
I have done this trip a few times. MY preferred routing is EGSC WCO then to Bembrridge direct but you really need a GPS to track accurately from WCO and good VFR to stay clear of Lasham gliding etc. During the week , Benson and Farnborough will assist.

A slightly more entertaining alternative is EGSC BPK BNN but that takes you closer to the Wycome choke point.

As a refinement to the latter, if you are really bored you can ask for a transit through the Luton zone but you will have to sound confident on the R/T, give accurate position reports and be lucky with ATC and their traffic at the time. In any case, you save very little time.

Mike Cross
23rd Jun 2005, 20:43
Make sure you check the NOTAM carefully. There's a big TRA covering a whole chunk of the Solent for the Trafalgar 200 celebrations, the Fleet Review, and the International Festival of the Sea.

Solent Radar are providing a crossing service but it's probably easier to avoid it.

You need to look at AIC 48/2005 (Mauve 156), available from the AIS website at www.ais.org.uk

Fuji Abound
23rd Jun 2005, 20:46
EGSR, MAY - would work very well avoiding any tight navigation other than round the north east of Stansted. The routes 20 miles longer.

If you like you could get a LARS past Southend, then London info, Shoreham, Goodwood, Bembridge, not forgetting the solent exclusion zone.

The scenery is pleasant as well - a good view of the docks at Tilbury and the QE2 bridge, Royal TB, the south downs and Selsey Bill.

The route your propose is also fine but with closer attention to navigation required. I think as the route stands you will also infringe the temporary solent exclusion zone.

You may find overhead Farnborough, GWC easier. Expect to work Farnborough and Goodwood.

If you really want a challenge a SVRF via BUR will cut the corner through the Heathrow zone but expect no symphathy if either your read back of the clearance or your navigation is suspect!

Hope that help let us know how you get on.

Laundryman
23rd Jun 2005, 21:32
I went to IOW recently from Cranfield went almost direct route asked for and recieved MATZ penetration through Farmborough no problem. This was just before the TRA that Mike mentions was put into effect so keep that in mind otherwise have a good flight. If you come into Bembridge over the sea to runway 30 is slight uphill slope nothing tricky. I did it in a PA28 and stopped within 20 metres of the hard taxiway to the parking area. Also check out Bembridge webcam it looks out towards the end of the runway (30) in other words the threshold is out of sight to the left of the picture.

Kolibear
24th Jun 2005, 06:51
VOR-hopping from Cambridge to Nuthampstead, Brookman's Park, Biggim, Ockham, Midhurst, Goodwood then IOW. Its an easy route, but you need to ask Thames Radar for a clearance across London City zone, which isn't a problem.

bpilatus
24th Jun 2005, 08:43
Kolibear

We have the same idea. This is much better for the pilot. But he must be sure about going through London City in a SEP. I would never transit because it is not possible to land clear in a single. I think some guy is reported for doing this!! by an airline profesional captain. My advice is read about the glide distance in the POH. These guys who say go west of Heathrow I think make the journey very hard. This is not the best thing for a new pilot to try.

eyeinthesky
24th Jun 2005, 09:05
Solent are happily giving transits of the TRA at the moment. Not below 2000ft over Portsmouth Dockyard or any of the anchored ships, and no orbits on the way! This may change as more vessels arrive over the weekend.

If you are going to Bembridge, take your passengers to the Crab & Lobster for good food overlooking the sea. £10 in a taxi or a pleasant 30 min walk. Ask at the airport for directions.

Must also mention Sandown: went there yesterday. Very smart new bar/clubhouse serving range of snacks. The 'Pilot Express' (sic) offers a bacon butty and tea/coffee delivered within 15 mins or your landing fee refunded (excluding 'Men Behaving Badly'-type antics to make it 16 mins!).

EddieHeli
24th Jun 2005, 10:01
bpilatus,
What exactly is wrong with the advice to go to the west of Heathrow, its just basic nav at the end of the day, no more difficult than going the way you suggest and certainly shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a new pilot.
Its virtually a straight line avoiding airspace with loads of visual clues for basic vfr nav.
Going via WCO and WOD you could actually go at 2300' and not talk to anyone if you wanted. (Avoiding Farnborough Matz of course). Personally I prefer to talk and fly lower, and plan to fly around if I don't get clearance. The only bit you would need to fly around is Farnborough if they didn't clear you through, but that is easy enough to do visually as well, and I've never been refused.
Soton TFR obviously needs to be taken into account either way.

bpilatus
24th Jun 2005, 15:58
Eddie- Yes west is ok for a good pilot. But I have seen lots of gliders and micros and baloons here. It is just a small space from Booker too Heathrow. Lots of VFR traffic after that- then WW and then Farnborough and then Lashenden. I have followed the main road past Winchester but never again. CAVOK when departing but then pour vis further down. For me east every time

But you pay some money and take a chance!?! So they say

Cusco
24th Jun 2005, 22:33
EGSC-EGSR-EGMC-DET-MAY-GWC-IW(EGHJ)
(but read the NOTAMS)
Assuming you can do VORs and NDBs,.

Takes you clear of all the busy cr*p but you do have to watch your altitude at MAY.

I echo all the reports for the Crab and Lobster: Gets frantically busy: I usually phone ahead and try to book a table.

Enjoy but watch for the Ghost of admiral Nelson.

Cheers

Cusco

Flying Robin
25th Jun 2005, 11:10
My first "long haul" flight post PPL was from Sywell to the coast. It was really easy, routed to Stoken Church (big radio mast at side of M40), watch out for gliders around Aylesbury, kept a listening watch on Booker's freq (Stoken Chuch keeps you well to the West of their ATZ), then down to Reading - called Farnborough when over Henley (easy to spot because the river runs South to North there) for a Squawk and FIS). Then intercepted the 340 radial from MID and followed that - kept me to East of Blackbushe ATZ, and transitted Farnborough ATZ (originally planned to be above 2300, but low cloud kept me down to 2100 - was OK though, Farnborough just asked me to transit over the 24 numbers).

For IOW - if you can transit Blackbushe above their ATZ (2325 amsl) you could route direct from WOD (Reading) to GWC.

However, from Cambridge you could also consider the East London route - don't think it is any harder or easier, but could have more to look at like the QE bridge, track straight to coast for Beachy Head, transit Shoreham (talk to them and keep a good look out - they are very busy), then follow coast to Portsmouth.

Make sure you give a good NOTAM and Mauve AIC check - there are alot of activites taking place around the south coast, and not just on this weekend!