PDA

View Full Version : Not flown for 5 years, advice please?

w1llow
22nd Jun 2005, 09:16
Hi Guys,

Please can I have some advice?

I have a PPL, but have not flown since June 2000.

A couple of friends have advised not to let it go over 5 years, however 5 years has now passed and I would like to know what I would have to do now to get current again.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

W1llow

Fuji Abound
22nd Jun 2005, 14:12
As the more knowledgeable haven’t replied I will have a go - but you would do as well to check with the CAA or wait till someone else is along.

I think your friends are thinking of the rules pre 2002 - after 5 years it was a CAA log book examination and they determined the retraining, after 10 years some of the exams also had to be retaken.

Since 2002 it is down to your friendly CFI to determine what retraining is needed. You will still need to get your log book signed off by the CAA and of course they will charge a fee for the privilege. Maybe it is the fee your friends have in mind because after three, four or five years you will need some retraining one suspects in any event.

Good luck.

Engineer
22nd Jun 2005, 14:27
The info you need is in LASORS (www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF) Sections C5.1 and F.

From 5.1 If the holder of a UK National or JAR-FCL pilot’s licence has not held a valid Certificate of Test, Certificate of Experience or Certificate of Revalidation for any type/class rating that has expired by more than 5 years** they may not have their licence re-issued until such time as an appropriate valid medical certificate and Certificate of Revalidation are obtained. Applicants may either renew an existing rating within their UK or JAR-FCL licence or may wish to transfer a type/class rating that he/she is currently flying under the privileges of their non-UK ICAO licence. Renewal of appropriate ratings or the transfer of type/class ratings is specified in Section F.