PDA

View Full Version : Any lessons in and around Herts or Southampton?

Zulu Yankee
21st Jun 2005, 15:14
I'm a student currently in Southampton, but am based in Herts. I'm curious to have a flying lesson and was wondering if anyone in this forum provides that service at a reasonable price.

Any ideas or offers?

ZY

rjt194
22nd Jun 2005, 11:45
Not sure about Soton (although if memory serves there is a flying club at Soton Uni).

As for Herts - there is a wide choice depending on where abouts in the county you are and what transport you have available. There are plenty of places just over the county borders in Bedfordshire, Essex and Cambridgeshire.

So the question is, where abouts are you, and do you have transport?

Zulu Yankee
22nd Jun 2005, 11:54
I live in Stevenage, about 30 miles north of London. And yes I have transport!:O

swords 29
22nd Jun 2005, 12:21
you could start at Elstree, or go north to Cranfield, go down south east to Stapleford........

HappyTrails
22nd Jun 2005, 13:09
Of course, the absolute closest is Panshanger - East Herts Flying School do trial lessons, Not far from Welwyn railway viaduct.

rjt194
22nd Jun 2005, 13:57
Also Fowlmere (near Royston) and Luton. There are also a number of smaller (grass) fields dotted around the mid-Herts countryside.

They're all pretty easy to get to from Stevenage. I'm in WGC and fly from Cranfield. I've had trial lessons with several schools there as well as at Luton. A number of the Elstree schools are also Cranfield based - you will need to check which base they use for trial lessons.

I was happy with all the schools I had trial lessons at - the choice for where to stay came down to preferred instruction style and cost.

glider12000
22nd Jun 2005, 14:31
Join SUGC, and i`ll see you at the Interunis competition in a couple weeks time!

www.interunis.co.uk

Jordan D
22nd Jun 2005, 21:31
Try Elstree - I know they had one when I went to school across the road from the aerodrome.

Jordan

LowNSlow
23rd Jun 2005, 07:38
A pal of mine is using Panshanger and is quite impressed by them. Also the added bonus of being the closest :ok:

bpilatus
23rd Jun 2005, 09:47
I no Stevenage well. I was working there for a short while. I think you can try kwite (sorry this no looks very good) a few places. Just down the road is somewhere near Welwyn + North Weald:p I think they gonna build something on there and Luton. I think Luton may not be very good for training. They have very big machines all over the place. That Geek man from Greece he take over the place.

Were you live in Stevenage? I often go to the park in the middle and sit by the lake and look at all the machines flying to Luton. I watch radio control boats in the lake. Not a good idear to go to Elstre. I think there are some problems there with the workers. I read another site called FLYER. They all say ATC no good there. Maybe those FLYER people have a problem with ATC.

I log out- now I log back in because I just think my friend has just got a PPL and he is very hapy flying with some people. I fly with him a few times. O boy. I say no more. He give you a very good fly. He is very pleased for people to help him fly and show him the way. If you send me a PM I can be very friendly for you and him and may be arange some flying. I tell you some thing he is just passed his test. When he fly and look at the map O boy. I sit there very calm. But if you can help him with the map i think there is no problem he is very good pilot.

Gingerbread Man
23rd Jun 2005, 11:18
I'm studying at Southampton Uni, and i'm in the final stages of my PPL at Thruxton. Quite a devil to get to (about 25 miles from Southampton) but it's a nice field and very friendly. Also the cheapest lessons I could find, hence why I go there.

Also, if you've got a bit of money to throw around, there's Solent Flight and Carill Aviation at Southampton Intl.

Good luck!

Ginge ;)

Kolibear
23rd Jun 2005, 12:42
ZY,

If you want to experience the delights of flying a light aircraft, then you have identified the two methods of doing it. Either buy a trial lesson or find someone who is prepared to take you flying and (maybe) split the cost.

From Stevanage, the nearest flying school is Panshanger near Welwyn. Moving further out you could try Elstree in NW London or Stapleford which is in Essex next to the M25.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for some kind ppruner to make you an offer.

bpilatus
23rd Jun 2005, 12:47
Kolibear I already say my friend will fly with him

eyeinthesky
24th Jun 2005, 09:09
"Kolibear I already say my friend will fly with him"

err... let me get back to you on that:eek: