PDA

View Full Version : Adding a UK IR to an FAA PPL

oreleon
19th Jun 2005, 20:27
Is it possible to add a UK instrument rating to my FAA Private licence to allow me to fly IFR in the UK in controlled airspace.
This would be in a G reg. aircraft (fixed wing). If it is possible,would it allow me to fly in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2Donkeys
19th Jun 2005, 20:30
In short. No.

You need to obtain a JAA licence, and a JAA IR.

Your FAA IR will entitle you to a small reduction in the number of training hours required, but that is it.

2D

oreleon
19th Jun 2005, 20:42
So do I have to get a JAA/UK private licence before I can go for the JAA/UK instrument rating even if I already have an FAA private licence?

2Donkeys
19th Jun 2005, 20:44
Yes. You can't add a rating to a licence that you don't hold.

The same is true in reverse. A JAA IR cannot simply add an FAA IR to his JAA licence.

Obtaining a US rating and licence is somewhat easier for a JAA licence-holder than the direction that you are asking about though.

2D

oreleon
19th Jun 2005, 20:54
Thanks for the quick replies 2D, I take it that I will be able to convert my FAA private to a JAA private with some flight instruction and extra exams. I think I've seen a thread or two about that.
Or is it possible to get the FAA IR and then do conversion training back in the UK.I think Cabair do something along them lines.

Thanks again

2Donkeys
19th Jun 2005, 21:01
Getting a JAA private licence will consist of exams and a flight test. Mucky details in the usual CAA publication - LASORS, available on their website.

If you currently hold no Instrument qualification, but are training in the US, you can save some money by obtaining an FAA IR first. This will reduce the number of mandatory training hours required to obtain the JAA IR.

However - if you are as inexperienced as your post implies, you will find the JAA IR quite a tall steep hill to climb. Don't look upon the LASORS hours as a guideline - they will be the minimum that you require to get the job done.

2D

oreleon
19th Jun 2005, 21:05
Thanks for your replies 2D. I'll have good think now about what my next move will be.