PDA

View Full Version : Pocket FMS & GPS Software

lesking
19th Jun 2005, 13:57
I noticed mention of Pocket FMS in another thread and would be interested in comments on this and other navigation software for hand-held computers.

I recently downloaded pocket FMS for my Dell Axim (with GPS receiver) and it appears to have installed OK though I haven't yet had the chance to study or properly test the software.

I notice that there are a number of similar products for both basic flight planning and GPS navigation.

On the face of it, this free or almost-free software married to the Axim gives me a full colour GPS at a somewhat lower cost than a colour Garmin - With all additional functionality of a pocket PC including email, web browsing wireless/bluetooth connectivity, handwriting recognition, media player, pocket outlook/word/excel, etc.

Regards

Les

dublinpilot
19th Jun 2005, 16:25
Well, I also use Pocket FMS on a Dell Axim.

Advantages:
Full colour
Excellent integration with PC, so planning on PC is easy and straight forward
Full colour maps with gps trail can be printed off from the pc afterwards for passengers, as a record of their trip.
Map & Navigation data freely available for worldwide locations
Program being constantly updated with regard to users feedback and requests
Planning on the PDA has significantly improved, and is now quite easy.
Software is free.

Disadvantages:
PDA screens tend not to be as bright and clear in direct sunlight as a Garmin gps
Nav Data is not official, and can and does contain errors. Not that common, but there are some there. Therefore it must be used in conjunction with a chart
PDA's can crash and need to be rebooted. (Not much of an issue if you set it up on the ground, and leave it alone in the air, and simply follow the plan.) As the development of the program has gone on, this seems to have become less and less of an issue
Their source of the navigation data is closing down, and they are going to have to move to a user maintained database. We'll have to wait and see, to see how well this works.

On balance I think it's an excellent piece of software, who's biggest limitations come from the PDA itself. So long as you're aware of the limitations and weaknesses, they aren't really much of a problem.

dp

J.A.F.O.
19th Jun 2005, 16:30
Spot on Les, that's precisely what it gives you. I too had Pocket FMS on my Axim until very recently and it gives you all that you said.

I've now swapped to memory-map which doesn't have all the bells and whistles but gives you a "you are here, heading there" and all overlaying a CAA half mill.

Much cheaper and far more portable that the Skyforce Skymap that is sat in the hangar gathering dust and with prettier piccies, too.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. I keep paying the money and changing my mind but at the moment I love the PDA and memory-map (as a back-up to traditional paper nav).

Ptkay
19th Jun 2005, 20:19
I use PocketFMS since few months, but with a Tablet PC.

For me an excelent program, the flight planning funcionality is just great. Almost all wishes fulfilled, and still developing further.

Can just warmly recommend.

Aussie Andy
19th Jun 2005, 21:17
For planning, I reckon Navbox QuickPlan and ProPlan products are excellent.

For flying, I prefer a purpose-built cheap GPS (Garmin III Pilot)... my prejudice against using a PDA is that it'll mean more loose wires in the cockpit to join things up, and as has been said above, the display may not be as good. I also suspect a homebrew combination might be less reliable than dedicated s/w that comes built-in with purpose-built products?

I presume you don't have to use the fiddly little plastic stylus device with the PDAs in-flight - I'd lose that for sure!

Andy :ok:

dublinpilot
19th Jun 2005, 21:56
Aussie,

Absolutley no need for using the stylus.

They have redesigned the input interface, to make using your finger on the screen, a cinch.

dp

jabberwok
19th Jun 2005, 22:33
I have Pocket FMS on my PDA and took it with me for a flight down to Biggin Hill a few weeks ago. The C500 has a GNS530 ansd GNS430 fitted and Pocket FMS was spot on with both all the way. Nicer display too!

lesking
20th Jun 2005, 07:11
Excellent feedback - I am sure glad I joined this forum

Easiest way to learn stuff about computers is to ask somebody who has already done what you are trying to do.

Thanks to all

Regards

Les