PDA

View Full Version : Magneto switch position L & R

18greens
18th Jun 2005, 22:11
Does anyone know why the Mag switch positions in planes are

OFF R L Both

not

OFF L R Both.

Why is the R Mag position on the LHS?(and vv)

Keygrip
18th Jun 2005, 22:29
You didn't do a search, did you :E

Common question. People will follow - to talk about starting and impulse mags (I'm just passing).

stiknruda
18th Jun 2005, 23:00
18G

Should you ever meet me, ask me why my right hand is so badly mangled!

If electric start - the key to START generally gounds out the right mag, release key from START and right kicks in, big time!

And it is aeroplane, dear chap!

Stik

Milt
19th Jun 2005, 00:14
Magneto Electrics

The magneto is turned OFF by shorting out the primary winding. That means that the magneto switch contacts have to be open for the magneto to be ON.

This is how it came to be that aircraft toggle switches are UP for ON. All because some British electrician was asked to fit magneto switches outside of the cockpit of one of those very early contraptions. Outside so that he who was about to swing the prop could see for himself whether the mags were on or off.

The electrician fitted his switches normally as down for on. So for the mags to be on the swiches had to be UP. Perhaps this is also the origin of USA switches being up for on. Anyone know?

It was sometime later that the convention developed that all significant switches and controls in aircraft be up or forward for take off.

Now I am left wondering about the derivation of "What's up (doc)".