PDA

View Full Version : What the "C" Stands for

clearfinalsno1
15th Jun 2005, 16:27
This may be a stupid question to some, but what is the acknowledged meaning of the black "C" on a yellow background outside the admin office at all airfields and what are its origins?

I know it's where pilots report on landing but what is it an abbreviation for? Wouldn't "P" for pilots be better these days?

effortless
15th Jun 2005, 16:29
I always thought it stood for Control.

helicopter-redeye
15th Jun 2005, 17:12
"Cash or Credit Cards Accepted" perhaps?

(or even "Cakes here")

h-r:)

TD&H
15th Jun 2005, 17:13
Always thought is stood for Coffee!

Also stands for the quality of coffee in some places:E

Flash0710
15th Jun 2005, 17:41
At one place i know i reckon its what they call some of the fiso's

:E

matspart3
15th Jun 2005, 19:19
From the CAA Licensing Document CAP168

2.5 Signals visible from the ground
2.5.1* A black letter C against a yellow background as shown at Figure 7.12 indicates the
place at which a pilot can report to the air traffic control unit or to the person in charge
of the aerodrome.

jabberwok
15th Jun 2005, 20:21
It goes back to the pre WW2 days when ATC was known as Flying Control. Dunno why they picked C though..

helicopter-redeye
15th Jun 2005, 20:42
Perhaps they had run out of "F"s by that stage in the war

Onan the Clumsy
15th Jun 2005, 21:24
It was a military thing and therefore "Control, Flying"

"Don't you know there's a war on sonny? We can't use two letters."

ergo "C".

BigEndBob
15th Jun 2005, 21:27
Always told studs it stood for "Cash, Cheques or Credit Cards" .
Also When on airfield the "T" also stood for the 3 "T's"
"Tea, Telephone and Toilets"

MLS-12D
15th Jun 2005, 21:27
the black "C" on a yellow background outside the admin office at all airfields Let's not be parochial. The feature referred to is not present at "all airfields" ... indeed, before this post, I'd never even heard of it. :hmm:

Admittedly the places I like to fly out of are usually lucky to boast indoor plumbing, let alone an "admin office"; but I've been to my share of largish airports, too! ;)

TD&H
15th Jun 2005, 21:54
MLS-12D

Not present at all AIRFIELDS, but at lots of AERODROMES:}

Not sure about in North America, can't particularly recall seeing the big C at all. However it is common in Europe, ie not just in the Mother Country. Of course in good ol' 'merica they're airports :* not airfields/aerodromes. And the coffee wasn't anything to write home about either:yuk:

Spitoon
16th Jun 2005, 08:27
From ICAO Annex 24.2.7 Air traffic services reporting office
The letter C displayed vertically in black against a yellow background (Figure 1.10) indicates the location of the air traffic services reporting office.MLS-12D, I always assumed that one had to learn the Rules of the Air before getting a pilot's licence - pretty much anywhere in the world.

Still I guess you learn something new everyday. Tell me, do you not have to comply with ATC clearances or can you fly VFR in cloud etc in your part of the world?

helicopter-redeye
16th Jun 2005, 09:06
The question was "what does it mean" not "is it there" ....

clearfinalsno1
16th Jun 2005, 09:15
Well, thanks to everyone for your replys.

It seems quite clear that the "C" is for Control.

What the accompanying words to "Control" were and whether they were originally intended to be a prefix of "Aerodrome", "Flying", "Air Traffic" or a suffix of "Point" or something similar, seems to have been losts in the mists of time (the last 90 years). Those of you with access to Royal Flying Corps (precursor to the RAF) historical documentation may be able to clarify this.

Clearly, IF it was meant to be Air Traffic Control, this is now no longer fully appropriate, as ATC means something quite different to us all. ATC may or may not be in the same building as the airfield admin office.

Indeed the above quoted ICAO and CAA references are not entirely clear in identifying what the C represents. The CAA hedge their bets with ATC or "person in charge of the airfield".

Perhaps "FAP" for "Flight Administration and Planning" would be more appropriate. This is because one would expect to be able to pay landing fees, check weather, book out and do any other aspect of flight planning at the building attached to the C, but NOT necessarily visit the tower visual or radar room (ATC). However, I am not suggesting we change the simple "C" which we all know and recognise.

I shall continue to think of "C" as "Aerodrome Control Point" which as so many of you rightly say, in reality means "Cash, Cheques or Credit Cards"!

Thank you.

MLS-12D
16th Jun 2005, 16:41
TD&H: "Airfield" is not my word; it was a direct quotation from the original post. :hmm:

Spitoon: Are you seriously contending that the minutia of the 18 annexes to the Chicago Convention formed part of the examination for your pilot's license (are you a pilot?)?! They certainly aren't part of the examination process here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spitoon
16th Jun 2005, 23:20
Yup, I'm a pilot - had a UK PP licence for nearly 30 years. And yup, to get it I had to pass a written exam on Aviation Law which included the signals shown on an aerodrome.

Sorry but it's true!

DubTrub
17th Jun 2005, 11:06
Said CAP requires the "C" board to be two metres square (6' x 6' ). Which may be fine when peering across two miles of Heathrow apron to see where to report, but an absolute misplaced rule for the majority of licensed aerodromes in the UK.

Its so big you don't see it.

Another case of "one rule for all" that doesn't quite fit.

MLS-12D
17th Jun 2005, 15:28
I had to pass a written exam on Aviation Law which included the signals shown on an aerodrome.So did I ... but those did not extend beyond the signals commonly used, as featured in A.I.P. Canada. Triva from the various Chicago Convention annexes were mercifully absent. :*