PDA

View Full Version : JAR-OPS fuel policy

Cap Loko
14th Jun 2005, 19:17
Dear PPRUNE'rs

I'm going to fly under JAR-OPS soon (hopefully). Have the following question:

This question refers to JAR-OPS in general and not to differences member states use. I'm familiar with the fuel policies of my own country.
JAR-OPS 1.255 prescribes the basic elements of an operator's fuel planning policy. Operators policies are then contained in AMC.

Taxi fuel
Trip fuel
Reserve fuel (i) contingency
(ii) alternate
(iii) final reserve
(iv) additional

Does it mean that there is not a described time requirement like for example 45 minutes of fuel remaining in the tanks after A->B->C ? Or any other specific time or percentages requirement?

Does it mean each operator or member state has to come up with its own numbers (after approval of course)?

Gratefull for any help

Loko

Engineer
14th Jun 2005, 20:52
Times are mentioned in JAR OPS reproduced below

(ii) For A to B Flights – An operator completed for each flight shall ensure that the pre-flight calculation of
usable fuel required for a flight includes;
(A) Taxi fuel - Fuel consumed before take-off, if significant; and
(B) Trip fuel (Fuel to reach the destination); and
(C) Reserve fuel -
(1) Contingency fuel -
Fuel that is not less than 5% of the planned trip fuel or, in the event of in-flight replanning, 5% of the trip fuel for the remainder of the flight; and
(2) Final reserve fuel -
Fuel to fly for an additional period of 45 minutes (piston engines) or 30 minutes (turbine engines); and
(D) Alternate fuel - Fuel to reach the destination alternate via the destination, if a destination alternate is
required
(E) Extra fuel – Fuel that the commander may require in addition to that required under subparagraphs (A)
– (D) above.

Cap Loko
14th Jun 2005, 21:08
Thanks engineer.

Forgot to mention the question with regards to performance class A aeroplanes.

I do have a copy of JAR-OPS and could find these numbers only under:
[appendix 1 to JAR-OPS1.005(a)] Operations of performance class B aeroplanes.
(12) JAR-OPS 1.255 Fuel Policy

Now I'm a little confused as this regards only to class B but there's the mention of turbine engines that automatically fall under class A. :confused:

south coast
15th Jun 2005, 15:53
loko...

i think you will find that jar-ops 1.255-fuel policy is under the title of general, and therefore applicable to performance a aircraft...

thats the way i read it...

Cap Loko
15th Jun 2005, 16:59
Yep, general (Operational Procedures Subpart D). I was just confused because the numbers Engineer mentioned can only be found under the

appendix to JAR-OPS 1.005(a) Operations of performance class B aeroplanes.

And then in the same appendix (Operations of performance class B aeroplanes) there is the mention of an aeroplane with turbine engines which in itself is class A.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback