PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Waddington air show ... by air ?

FullyFlapped
12th Jun 2005, 16:58
Hi everyone,

Waddington air show is coming up soon, and I was just wondering if it's possible to fly in (just to miss all the traffic etc).

Anyone know ? There's nothing on the website. I'll give them a call this week if nobody has the scoop ...

Cheers,

FF :ok:

muffin
12th Jun 2005, 17:47
Almost impossible I would say unless you are a participant.

Evil J
12th Jun 2005, 18:10
I think it can be done, I know in the past some of the local flyers at my club have flown in, but generally in interesting types (JP's Yaks etc) and they have booked well in advance and I got the impression Wad have some kind of pool system and they allocate so many slots a year- I stand to be corrected

helicopter-redeye
12th Jun 2005, 18:23
Quite common for rotary to go in (usually a nice earner weekend). Never seen any pvt FW landing unless on display.

See you all in the traffic queue ....

h-r:)

Pie Man
12th Jun 2005, 20:02
I would suggest arriving and departing on the days of the airshow are very unlikely. Very limited parking on the western side of the runway, just enough space for the charter flights. Parking on the eastern side (live side) unlikely due to numbers of participants - 9 display teams advertised this year. As eastern side is the live side a paying member of the public would not be allowed to stay on that side of the airfield during the display.

Would all change if you had an 'interesting' aircraft that could be in the static but that would involve arriving on Thu or Fri and departing Mon.

Pie

proplover
13th Jun 2005, 11:45
pie man correct - no chance of flying in on either day. The approved static aircraft have to be there on Friday and can only depart Monday morning. Charter flights can arrive eg DC3 but these are all pre-arranged and have parking slots allocated.

FullyFlapped
13th Jun 2005, 14:22
OK guys, thanks. Guess I'll have to find somewhere close by to land ...

{scans half-mil map}

Anyone know anything about South Hykeham ?

FF :ok:

Pie Man
13th Jun 2005, 18:22
South Hykeham is a privately owned strip, not sure if it is available at the moment last time I drove past it the grass was far too long for aircraft to operate from. Even after landing at South Hykeham you would still have to join the queue to get in to Waddington. Travelling by train to Lincoln, then special bus service to the camp seems the option with the least hastle - unless you can afford Dragon Helicopters from Swinderby.

Pie