PDA

View Full Version : Whats the record?

GusHoneybun
12th Jun 2005, 11:48
Esteemed peeps of pprune.

Whilst bimbling about doing my dayjob the other day I wondered if there was a record for the most number of airfields visited in one day. Got me athinking whether it might be worth having a pop at the record, giving access the the right aircraft and choosing the best route.

So, does anybody know if there is a record set for this and if so what is the current record. Also, if there isn't a record set, who would be a good organisation to approach about championing this attempt, AOPA? PFA?

tootle pip

Evil J
12th Jun 2005, 14:13
I would have thought the "dawn to dusk challenge" would be the best way of attempting it- seem to remember reading about an RAF officer (OC 1 (F) Sqn rings a bell) who flew round about 45 airfields in one day in a Luscombe or something similar

FlyingForFun
12th Jun 2005, 18:54
Dawn to Dusk is what I was thinking of too. When AerBabe and I did the challenge we visited 7 in one day (I think, but I don't have the paperwork to hand to check, so AerBabe might correct me). We overflew another 3 which we'd planned on landing at but couldn't for one reason or another. Quite a way off of 45, but we did include 3 countries in our trip which I reckon makes up for it!

FFF
---------------

muffin
12th Jun 2005, 19:34
I also did the Dawn to Dusk a few years ago on a similar attempt. Actually we were trying to visit as many WW2 US 8th Air Force bases as possible in a a day, and we had to do it in a helicopter as most of them don't have runways any more. Lots of them are very close together, like 5 mins flying time, and at each one we landed, left the rotors running, took a couple of pics and left for the next one. Between 0800 when the mist cleared and 1900 when we collapsed into the hotel bar I think we managed about 37. A very strenuous day's flying but great fun. Then 6 weeks to write it all up for the competition..

bintheredonethat
12th Jun 2005, 20:00
Welcome to beat my small attempt also in dawn to dusk.
Object was to land and assess unlicenced grass strips. Full stop landing and shut down, check grass length, strip width, windsock quality and safety or othwise of approaches, slope etrc etc with a photo of each one. Completed 49 between 04.50 and 21.25..all solo. Quite knackering but fun.
Hope you can beat it. best of luck.

what who me?
12th Jun 2005, 20:07
There is a user here on pprune, duncan, who has the current record in the famous thingy book (don't drink the crap, can't spell it either). Think it is 60+, but not sure. Try a search on google and it should turn up. Was done in an arrow from Elstree.

AerBabe
15th Jun 2005, 19:19
FFF - We actually planned on visiting 11. However, in the end we took off from one (rather obviously) and landed (or crashed ... ) at another seven.