PDA

View Full Version : Feasability of Private to Public CofA conversion

Rupert S
12th Jun 2005, 10:37
I was just wondering whether anyone has any experiene of converting a light, 150hp 4 seat aircraft from a private CofA to a Public Transport. Provided the aircraft is in a good, airworthy state, is this reasonably easy to do? Are there high costs?

Thanks

Rupert

S-Works
12th Jun 2005, 14:42
Its just a star annual.

Rupert S
12th Jun 2005, 15:12
Thanks for that. (Surprisingly) straight forward for a change! :}

rustle
12th Jun 2005, 15:22
Straightforward, without a flicker of a doubt.
:E

Rupert S
12th Jun 2005, 15:39
Rustle knows something.

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Jun 2005, 16:06
With EASA 'Star Annuals' are a thing of the past

Mike Cross
12th Jun 2005, 16:16
Certificate of Airworthiness re-categorisation update 15 October 2004
28 September 2004 saw the beginning of the end for "upgrades" and "downgrades" for Certificates of Airworthiness. An amendment to the Air Navigation Order is expected mid 2005 on this subject, and after its publication EASA Certificates will quote the Type Certificate operational category, and National (UK) Certificates will state either "Standard" or "Special". Except for those aircraft already holding a Special Category Certificate of Airworthiness, the category quoted on an old-style document will be deemed to equate to "Standard" category for National aircraft, or the Type Certificate operational category for EASA aircraft until a new-style document is issued in due course. PLEASE NOTE, HOWEVER, THAT HOW THE AIRCRAFT ACTUALLY OPERATES (E.G. PRIVATE OR PUBLIC USE) WILL DEPEND UPON IT BEING EQUIPPED, MAINTAINED AND OPERATED IN A MANNER APPROPRIATE TO THE INTENDED USE. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN A REVISION TO THE AIR NAVIGATION ORDER SOON.

From http://www.caa.co.uk/printerdefault.aspx?categoryid=720&pagetype=87&groupid=800

Rupert S
12th Jun 2005, 16:38
Now I've heard that a few times but not regarding the lack of Star Annual. Presumably there is just one certification for both private and public use but is the gaining of this certification the same as the old style CofA?

S-Works
12th Jun 2005, 20:14
The question was to upgrade a Prv Cat to a Pub cat which leads us to believe the poster does not have an EASA cert. therefore as I understand it a "star annual" check has to be carried out with the resulting issue of a new CofA

justsomepilot
12th Jun 2005, 20:26
Yes it is just a CofA Annual, but that statement hides a much deeper potential problem.

One can fit all sorts of stuff to a Private CofA plane which could not be fitted to a Transport CofA plane.

Such items would need to either be certified (I've known of certain JAR145 firms that would generate the required piece of paper for a 3 figure fee; whether this is legal I have no idea but it shows what a scam the certification business is; the actual part involved would be exactly identical except that it didn't have a JAR1 form when originally fitted) or would have to be removed.

One gets similar issues from going G to N, or N to G.

If a plane was previously on a Transport CofA (nearly all CofA planes do come with a Transport CofA when brand new) and nothing was changed since then all that should be needed is for the maintenance to be brought up to date, and the paperwork. Perhaps a grand or two, including the £500-700 CAA CofA fee.

S-Works
13th Jun 2005, 09:58
I am not sure that is the case, as far as I am aware the only difference in maintanance between private and public is the items that gone be done by the owner and the allowing of an engine to run past life on condition.

As far as fitting different parts it is not like a permit aircraft where you can pretty much fit what you want. I stand to be corrected but I was under the impression all parts had to be approved for a CofA aircraft regardless of public or private cat.

justsomepilot
13th Jun 2005, 16:03
If you rent a plane out (even to yourself, if e.g. owned by a limited company) or use it for aerial work (loosely speaking) then it needs to be maintained to the Transport CofA schedule.