PDA

View Full Version : Nearest strips to......

Monocock
12th Jun 2005, 07:01
If anyone local to these places can let me know the nearest strips I would be really grateful. I need to be there this week.

Ancaster - LINCS
Guilden Morden - CAMBS (Fowlmere?)

Any help appreciated

M

stiknruda
12th Jun 2005, 08:28
Ancaster - is just 5 miles south of RAFC Cranwell, so either the "college of knowledge" or Barkston Heath. RAFC quite busy daytimes these days.

Stik

Chilli Monster
12th Jun 2005, 14:03
PPR for Barkston is normally via Cranwell Ops. When I worked there (Barkston) OC Ops Cranwell had a real downer about light civil aircraft using Barkston as he thought it was "dangerous mixing them with elementary students" and insisted they went to Cranwell instead. Things might have changed since then - give Cranwell Ops a ring. It's only half a mile from Ancaster so would be perfect.

If it's not a player there was (is?) a guy who operated a C150 out of a field near there that might be a player. I don't have the number but the Tower at Barkston (01400 - 230621) should have it in their "useful numbers" book.

ozplane
12th Jun 2005, 14:24
Monocock, the disused airfield at Steeple Morden used to have a strip on it but I haven't seen anything on it for some time. Top Farm (on the half-mil North of Bassingbourn) would be a cheaper option than Fowlmere. Give Dave Morris a call on 01767-631-377 for PPR and avoid the house on short finals to 24. Let me know if you need any more.

Monocock
12th Jun 2005, 17:43
Thanks all

Is that Top Farm where Just Plane Trading is based?

ozplane
13th Jun 2005, 07:00
Affirmative. Nice long grass strip.