PDA

View Full Version : RT Fail Procedures

Turn It Off
10th Jun 2005, 22:33
Hey all,

Was looking at RT fail procedures but am after clarification on one part.

The Book (mats 1) states that if an a/c is told delay not determined and subsequently has an RT fail, they are to divert to alternate or nearest suitable aerodrome (which barring a further emergency is surely the 1st alternate?)

When should the aircraft divert?

1 - After reaching the holding facility?

2 - Immediately the driver selects Mode A7600?

3 - Continue as cleared for 7 minutes after selecting A7600 then route direct alternate?

Any other offers apart from the three above gratefully accepted!

Regards

TIO

eastern wiseguy
10th Jun 2005, 23:48
Funnily enough I had a discussion about a similar issue with an Easy crew this morning.Company had filed them at FL180 ... ...when cleared to FL180 they said their level would be ABOVE that and Dublin would clear them so ..I asked what radio fail procedure they would adopt..well they shuffled about a bit and conceded a good point and ignored it ......time for a pilot /atco forum I think....

bookworm
11th Jun 2005, 07:25
Interesting question.

Certainly not option 2. The 7 minutes is designed to allow ATC to gets its act together before the aircraft starts doing something unexpected. And 7 minutes applies in respect of levels only. On that basis, not option 3.

I think a strict reading of ENR 1.1.3 3.2.4.1(e) suggests that you should continue to the holding fix serving the destination before diverting. Operationally, that might be desirable too, as there may be an expectation of re-establishing comms before getting there.

However, the idea of flying, with a fried radio, over their alternate in the full knowledge that they're going to fly back there with minimum fuel 30 mins later may make an immediate diversion a little too tempting for most pilots to resist.

RPMcMurphy
11th Jun 2005, 09:10
I've had radio fail pilots call me on their mobile phone before now..... at least it won't interfere with the commms if they are already broke.......