PDA

View Full Version : Hang gliding sites

FlyingForFun
10th Jun 2005, 20:41
Recently, a student asked me something which I didn't know the answer to. He found a symbol on his chart for a hang-gliding site, with a number next to it to indicate the maximum altitude of the winch-launch.

Do people really winch-launch hang-gliders? The only time I've ever seen hang-gliders, the pilots launch them by jumping off hills, and this was my student's impression too, but I admit this isn't something I know anything about, so I want to learn more.

Should I plan to avoid these sites at altitudes below those indicated on the charts, in the same way I would plan to avoid a gliding site with a cable? My initial reaction is that yes, I should steer clear, but I really don't know what to expect if I were to overfly such a site.

FFF
--------------

topcat450
10th Jun 2005, 21:34
Yes they do it - more usually at flat sites rather than hill sites where they can't just run off the edge.

Also, the even if the winch is to say, 1000ft, on thermic days you'd be wise to keep a look out well above that. Just like gliders they'll use thermals to reach cloudbase, and due to thier weight they don't actually need as much activity to get themselves going 'up' after the winch has dropped them off.

Just use common sense like you would a glider field. Also from my own experiences, they're easier to spot than gliders.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2005, 21:51
Increasingly also at flat field sites they are aero-towing with microlights.

But for hilltop sites, just give it a half mile/500ft berth and keep a good lookout, you should be fine.

G

B Fraser
11th Jun 2005, 22:14
Watch out for hangies under balloons too. I did the first ever drop from a Sky balloon (G-GPEG) in the UK which required all manner of CAA approval (thanks Mark of the CAA for being so straightforward). I nearly wrote off my underwear but a drop from FL105 was awesome....never again though :uhoh:

Hilltop sites can initiate thermal climbs of over 900 fpm (personal UK best) so expect glider traffic either downwind over the back when thermalling or directly ahead of launch when flying in the compression band.

FlyingForFun
12th Jun 2005, 18:47
Ok, thanks for the all the information, everyone - all good stuff to add to my ever-growing knowledge! :ok:

FFF
-----------------