PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot After market fit

Ojuka
10th Jun 2005, 12:52
Hi there.

Does anyone have experience of fitting an autopilot to an aircraft that had not originally had one installed? I would be interested to hear what the cost would be for a Cessna 172 two axis system. I have found the S-TEC website; I suppose they're the best bet; but have no idea what an avionics engineer would charge to fit.

411A
10th Jun 2005, 17:09
For a US based single engine aircraft, figure US$14,000 for an S-tec two axis model, installed.
Fairly straight forward procedure, but the complications begin if you desire the autopilot to be equipped for GPS auto-tracking, approaches, etc.
A few extra bits required, as well as additional labor, of course.

Dunno about the prices in the UK, but would expect the whole shebang to cost about a third more there.

As you probably already know, prices a cheaper in the USA.
Regulatory requirements less as well.

Hpoe this helps.

L-Band
10th Jun 2005, 19:31
I assume the Cessna 172 is G reg.
If so, first it will have to be STC' d by the autopilot manufacture, for that series of Cessna 172.
The CAA will more than likely make this installation a Major Modification which will involve a design organisation (major £'s)
You are more than likely to get a bill for approx £12,000 for the installation and who knows for the certification.

Hope this helps