PDA

View Full Version : airbus perfo question

kaepa
10th Jun 2005, 10:39
anybody flying airbus family , please
airbus recommends in their FCOM to use HIGHER FLAPS slection for takeoff with high altitude airfield to improve comfort .

1. when do you consider the airport to be high altitude ??

2. how technically higher flap selection improve comfort??
ANYTHING TO DO WITH PRESSURIZATION?

regards

catchup
10th Jun 2005, 10:53
1. ? don't know..
2. High elevation with low flaps means you have to run very long on TO

regards

Pegasus77
10th Jun 2005, 11:11
It is offcourse for the comfort of the pilots... ever seen the red end-of-the.runway-lights approach during the takeoffroll? A higher flapsetting would prevent that.

I see no advantage in pax-comfort at all. No I see no pressurisation-advantage. The cabinpressure is completely independent from the flapsetting.

The question whether an airports elevation is high enough for a higher flapsetting is solved when you look in the performancemanual, or if you calculate the TO-performance on your laptop.
There are so many variables going into a TO-performance-calculation, that you cannot say that above 5000' elevation, flaps 25 or higher is mandatory or something like that. It depends on actual weather, elevation, RUNWAYLENGTH!!, obstacles etc. etc.

Cheers,
P77

square leg
10th Jun 2005, 12:08
If you have ever taken off from RWY18 in Frankfurt then you will know why they recommend using a higher flap setting... That runway shakes the plane to bits. Now just imagine Frankfurt having a high(er) elevation (say 6000'), the T/O run would be even longer.

Perhaps high elevation runways get used and abused more than lower elevation ones as aircraft TAS/Ground Speeds are generally quite a bit higher thus more wear and tear and thus generally (perhaps) the condition of these runways is worse.

...get off the ground quicker with more flaps.

as they say... my 2 cents worth.

CDB.A300
13th Jun 2005, 06:57
in some case found that VR is 2 or 3 Kts higher than V2,
Any idea why??