PDA

View Full Version : BA Departures from KJFK

CarbHeatIn
9th Jun 2005, 15:41
Hi all,

I departed JFK last night, as SLF on UA. This allowed me to listen in to ATC communications on UA's audio system.

Departures were using 13R and Arrivals 13L.

However, I noticed that 3 BA 747s insisted on 13L "for operational reasons" after being given taxi instructions to 13R from Kennedy Ground.

Not being familiar with JFK, I just assumed the Speedbird crews were insisting on a longer runway for optimal performance. I've since had a look in my Jeppesen Manual (for ATPL Flight Planning exam) and noticed that 13R is actually a significantly longer runway. The Departure procedures (looks like we flew a Bette Two Departure) seem the same for both runways.

Assuming my Jepp manual is correct, (which it may not), I'm wondering why would Ground clear BA to 13R? Would Delivery not have already approved a plan including 13L? Secondly, Why did BA insist on 13L when 13R is the longer runway?

Appreciate any responses.

Human Factor
9th Jun 2005, 15:46
It's a shorter distance from Terminal 7 (the BA terminal) to 13L so it could save a significant amount of taxi time, assuming you don't have to wait forever for landing aircraft. That's the most plausible explanation.

CarbHeatIn
9th Jun 2005, 16:09
HF, thanks for the reply. I thought about taxi distances, but the difference didn't appear that significant. Other operators out of Term 7, including UA and IB didn't query the runway. Perhaps it's significant that BA is the profitable one!

Are Fuel costs really that tightly inforced at BA? It was more like an insistance rather than a request in all 3 cases. With the ever increasing price of fuel can we expect BA heavies to insist on 27L/09R at EGLL?

Interestingly a Jetblue A320 also requested the left, but this was refused.

Human Factor
10th Jun 2005, 17:31
I guess it's up to the controller at the time as to whether he'll allow it or not. Depends how the departure fits in with others and with arrivals. I've requested 13L myself in the past and been sent to 13R. As you say, the distance isn't that much different. However, there are an awful lot more opportunities for someone to get ahead of you while you're taxiing to 13R.

DarkStar
10th Jun 2005, 20:42
There are no issues using 13L as long as ATC are happy and that all the performance parameters are not compromised in any way. It can save a huge amount of time.

scroggs
11th Jun 2005, 19:25
The BA aircraft may have been B777-300s, which I think I'm right in saying are not allowed over the taxiway bridges due to the single-wheel loading. The A340-600 in my airline is similarly restricted.

Liffy 1M
11th Jun 2005, 20:44
However BA only have 777-200s, not -300s.

Globaliser
12th Jun 2005, 08:17
And there's only one 772 a day scheduled to JFK (and only 6 days a week) - all the rest are 744s. And the OP did say 747s ... ;)

scroggs
12th Jun 2005, 17:48
OK, it was a guess! It is certainly an issue for us (A346), and I believe the B773 is similarly restricted, but I'm not sure about the B772. The B744 has no such restriction. I can't think of any other obvious explanation for what you heard.