PDA

View Full Version : Online Map with airfield locations

jayemm
9th Jun 2005, 13:29
Is there a UK map that you can access on the Internet to view locations of GA airfields?

It would be useful for when you've not got your charts (or GPS) nearby and you need to see if you can fly to a meeting instead of driving :D ;)

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jun 2005, 13:34
I just keep last years charts next to my desk. No good for detailed planning, but as a general rule neither the towns nor airfields move year-on-year.

G

pbloore
9th Jun 2005, 14:35
Alternatively have Quickplan or Proplan installed - it also gives you flight time estimates, etc.

dublinpilot
9th Jun 2005, 17:25
Just download PocketFMS (http://www.pocketfms.com) and you'll get the airfield on your map, details about their runways, details about airspace, etc etc all on your pc.

dp

drauk
9th Jun 2005, 17:47
My hope is that eventually someone else says "hey, you can do that really easily with http://fly.dsc.net/u/Search" (which they do in some other discussion forums I've now discovered). Until then, I'll have to say it myself!

Miserlou
9th Jun 2005, 19:10
That PocketFMS is a super tool, DublinPilot.
Thanks.

bcfc
10th Jun 2005, 08:26
fly.dsc.net really is the business. Shame it doesn't work on my Blackberry

drauk
10th Jun 2005, 11:38
Why doesn't fly.dsc.net work on your Blackberry? I can't see any reason it wouldn't. I don't have one to try it on anymore, so if you could let me know the problem I might be able to fix it.

bcfc
10th Jun 2005, 15:41
Hi Drauk

I'm getting an Internal Server Error (HTTP Error 500) from the homepage. I can send you the Serverlet Exception log if you like.

From the search page, I get an error 406 and from the weather page fly.dsc.net/wx.xml, I get a 404 error.

Happy to use my BBY to help diagnose is you like. PM me so we don't bore the others on this thread

-bcfc

jabberwok
10th Jun 2005, 17:52
Never tried DSC before so I thought it worth looking at. A pity the first thing I tapped in was EGCN but maybe the new Robin Hood airport hasn't got into the system yet. :rolleyes:

Looks a good resource though..

BRL
10th Jun 2005, 18:20
That pocket FMS thing. I put in a route but after a while it resets back to where it starts, some where north of SEDAN. :confused:

I have looked through the manual but it doesn't say how to sort this out. Does anyone else have this problem?

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2005, 20:06
BRL,

Yes, that is because it's designed as a GPS program. You can download it to your pocketpc, connect it to a gps, and take it with you.

When you click on the map, to move it around, it will revert to whereever the plane was set put, or last known gps location, after a set number of seconds. The number of seconds can be set by clicking "file" "Properties" and changing the settin in "Re-centre PlotPlane after".

Alternatively, right-click on the map where you want to put the airplane, and on the right click menu, click "set plane position here".

Don't forget with the maps, you need to download maps for each different zoom level.

Miserlou,

Glad you like the program. Now, you need to put it on your pocketpc, connect it to a gps, and you can have all it's functions in the air :ok:

dp

Bob Stinger
11th Jun 2005, 07:10
Fly.dsc, very good an excellent way of confirming your own calculations.

drauk
11th Jun 2005, 13:07
EGCN but maybe the new Robin Hood airport hasn't got into the system yet

It is now. You can add waypoints yourself, by the way.

WAP service now restored.