PDA

View Full Version : Recent interview days

Zam
9th Jun 2005, 12:04
Has anyone had a recent interview for ATC. I have a few months to go until the next round of interviews but was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on the questions they ask. I think the technical one will be easy but the personnel one will be a different matter. I generally go to pieces and god knows how you could possibly answer 'are you a mature person? Why?' without cracking some kinda joke. Much appreciated
ZAM

jonnyvtec
13th Jun 2005, 07:36
Yeah i have just done my interview last week, just been made redundant at work so lets hope i get through :ugh:

I was asked my age in months, i screwed up though, worked out 22 and 8 months rather than 23 and 8, nothing like pressure to throw you.

Tech interview was remarkably less techy than i expected, id focus on a good overview rather than getting too specific in details, certainly no need to learn radio frequencies etc. My interviewer seemd to ask alot about area control and me talking through a flight to and and from Milan.

Pyscometric test thing isnt too bad, the multichoice form you do at selection seems to describe me very well. I was quite concise here, best to avoid waffle during the interveiw.

classicwings
14th Jun 2005, 11:27
Regarding your queries for the interview day, I had mine back in March and found out soon after that unfortunately I hadnt made it through this penultimate stage!

My advise I can give you is dont over prepare for the technical interview by trying to learn as many Air Traffic facts as possible- they are testing your ability to think about logical solutions to various ATC scenarios you may be faced with. I would also say that they are testing how you react to situations generally- I was also asked to calculate how old I was in months for starters which certainly threw me of course abit!

Regarding the personnel interview- just be honest and open. Make sure you can give some good examples to back up your answers rather than just saying yes or no.

Good luck and keep plugging away- One day you may be able to plug in for real!

chimpie
15th Jun 2005, 14:44
Hey

one of the worst questions in the personnel one was "are you a quick thinker?" "yes". give me an example of you thinking quickly" "think i am doing a pretty good job of it now!" was my answer although not sure if they had a sense of humour. I worked my arse off for the technical interview and as long as you prepare and dont panic it should be fine. My interviewer wasnt the kindest in the sense that he finished off with the kind words of "dont worry, lots of people re-apply for a second time"!!! Great i thought but actually did fine. So dont take too much notice until you hear afterwards...
with the computer tests, make the most of your time to practice. Cannot really prepare for them in advance but would advise you to brush up your basic maths skills.

good luck and keep me posted.

phil-99
17th Jun 2005, 20:42
I recently found out I hadn't made it through the interview stage too, and was rather hacked off to get the email stating "NATS policy is NOT to give feedback".

Anyone managed to get feedback out of them, especially considering that they practically invite re-applications after 12mths. It would be nice to know what parts need work on to be able to get through.

classicwings
20th Jun 2005, 11:39
Yep, I go the same 'no policy to give feedback' email too. Pretty harsh i thought given the supposed shortage of controllers at present- wouldnt you think they would try and help you prepare for your next attempt by giving you just alittle feedback on where you may have tripped up? Instead im going to have to prepare for all three tests again and get through the initial selection day again!

When I contacted them after receiving the email the lady said 'we used to give feedback but due tothe introduction of a new sophisticated system we are no longer able to do so.' No way round it just think there trying to become more industy standard.

Good luck for your next attempt anyway!
:rolleyes:

milesaway
22nd Jun 2005, 14:55
Just out of interest.... has anyone done the online numerical test for NATS? Is this a new thing as I havent seen it mentioned here?

Just did it and have to say - oh dear! Anyone know about how many right you need to pass it?? 70% im hoping (not including the ones i didnt get to do :uhoh: )

PPRuNe Radar
22nd Jun 2005, 16:15
I was thinking of asking NATS HR Dept to put in 'Do you know what a sticky is ?' as one of their standard questions ;)

spekesoftly
22nd Jun 2005, 16:22
Good idea - it'll take what, about three years for NATS HR to reply? ;)

milesaway
23rd Jun 2005, 11:26
PPRuNe Radar 'I was thinking of asking NATS HR Dept to put in 'Do you know what a sticky is ?' as one of their standard questions '

Is that directed at me? I was merely asking as the sticky only seems to have threads dated up to 2003...

And I just wanted to hear how other people had found it.... as it is I passed so am through to the test day :O