PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth - Any Tips Please

fireflybob
9th Jun 2005, 02:01
I am planning on landing at Bournemouth this Friday - obviously I am consulting all the charts etc but does anyone have any hot tips - routing in from the north, how to get cheaper landing fees etc.

Thanks for any help

eyeinthesky
9th Jun 2005, 09:11
If you are coming from the North VFR, expect to join via Stoney Cross VRP not above 2000ft QNH. (Beware of the Solent CTA and Boscombe Down MATZ on the way. Chilbolton radio telescope makes a good feature to aim for to keep you clear of both). Further routing will depend upon the runway in use.

I believe Bournemouth Handling (near the Jet Heritage Hangar) offer the best option for small aircraft. Or you could try Signature if you want the full FBO-Type operation and cost.

Three Blades
9th Jun 2005, 16:12
Bournemouth Handling are on 01202 590888.
They will give you a PPR number that you will probably have to pass in your first communication with ATC.
First contact on Radar/Apprach 119.475
They will probably pass you overe to the Tower (125.60) once you are inside the zone.
Aim to route via Stoney Cross or Tarrant Rushton (both VRPs marked on the chart) although you may also get away with a routing via Ringwood Lakes.
ATC are very helpful as are Bournemouth Handling.
Handling are on the south east corner of the airfield level with the threshold of Rwy 26.
Fuel is easily arranged.

Enjoy the beach and drop in on Compton Abbas when you are down there. Very pretty airfield.

TB

A and C
10th Jun 2005, 07:42
When I used the place a few years back the fuel was the cheapest for miles around and if I landed with minimumum divertion fuel (about an hour) I found that I coulld save enough on the fuel uplift ( about 150lts) to pay the landing fee.

This statment is based on the north London fuel price at the time but I think it is worth giving Shell a call to check the curent price, I also found that if you wanted a quick turnaround give Shell an ETA and they will try to have the fuel truck waiting for you.

fireflybob
10th Jun 2005, 17:24
Thanks for the replies - did the trip today and all went according to plan - bit long haul in the Tomahawk from Nottm as the Warrior was already booked!