PDA

View Full Version : Changing your JAR PPL for an FAA

nouseforaname
9th Jun 2005, 00:17
Hi,

slightly different question to what the title might impose.

I'm out in America now, I was going to do the Commercial out here, purely so that I would loose the restriction (faa licence based on and only valid when accompanied by....) that is on my FAA private with instrument rating US test passed.

I decided on just doing and American Private Check ride to give me a stand alone licence..

question...do I have to do the FAA private written exam? obviously the skill test but what about the written, am I exempt or do I have to do it?

Anyone done anything similar.

thanks TD

-IBLB-
9th Jun 2005, 06:14
I don't think there is anything in 14CFR61 that saying that you are exempt from taking the test. (There is nothing saying that you're not either.)

If you want to be sure, the only thing you can really do is call the FAA. I usually call the FSDO for questions like this (There is a list of FSDOs and phonenumbers in the back of the Airport/Facility Directory)

Or ask an examniner if there is one around, they usually seem to know aswell.

-IBLB-

Julian
9th Jun 2005, 08:38
Nouse,

Yes you have to take the written test, no escaping that I am afraid.

However, if you are intending to take the CPL whilst you are there as well then why are you taking the PPL test? If you have an ICAO PPL (which you do), then you already meet the requirements for starting the CPL (assuming you have the required hours in your log book). Once you pass your IR will be attached to your CPL and will be completely stand alone and wont be dependant on your JAA Licence.

I never sat the PPL and, as yourself, did the IR followed by CPL SE and ME. So you save a few quid in training and test fees.

Julian.

nouseforaname
9th Jun 2005, 18:47
i just spoke to the FAA in Oklahoma. Spoke to an Examiner and he said that I did not have to do an FAA written exam just take the check ride.

So how sure are you that I do have to take it?

I'm not suggesting that hearing it from the FAA examiner that it's from the horses mouth so please if you have found something else out let me know.

thanks, TD

-IBLB-
9th Jun 2005, 19:24
If you hear it from the FAA @ OK, i would go with that. If you want to be sure, get it in writing (ie fax) and doublecheck it with the examiner who is going to be doing your exam. He will be the one looking at your paperwork and will be issuing your certificate.

-IBLB-

chopperpilot47
9th Jun 2005, 19:41
This was recently changed. The FAR's have not been amended yet but we have been told that a person who holds a JAR PPL now has to take the written exams even if they have an FAA licence on the basis of it. One of our students had to do exactly that 4 weeks ago. I can try to find the reference if you really have to know.

Regards,

On the Spot
10th Jun 2005, 11:08
I went through the process 1 months ago - I had to take the written as well as the check ride. You also have to have had min 3 hours instruction in the previous 90 days and for your instructor to sign off that you are competent to take the test.
Elsewhere on Pprune I read that examiners are occsionally asking for sight of visa's too. Mine wanted sight of my passport as ID.

Justiciar
10th Jun 2005, 12:40
I picked up a restricted licence issued on the basis of my JAA PPL about a month ago. Nothing at all was said about exams either at the FSDO or at the flight school. Is this in force yet?

nouseforaname
10th Jun 2005, 15:56
were talking about an unrestricted licence mate

englishal
10th Jun 2005, 16:05
You have to do the written (for standalone licence), as you have to meet ALL of the requirements for the FAA PPL.....Including endorsments, night experience, 3 hours with CFI b4 exam and all that stuff. All the experience you already have by virtue of the JAA PPL will count of course....

I did the same a Julian, bypassed the PPL completely, used my JAA PPL until I passed the FAA CPL.....

Cheers

Final 3 Greens
10th Jun 2005, 18:07
Don't forget the FAA medical, you need the number to be a certified FAA airman. (As well as to fly on an FAA licence.)

nouseforaname
11th Jun 2005, 02:26
well i've got a checkride booked up for monday/tuesday

the examiner is happy to do it given I haven't passed the written.

I'll let you guy's know what happenes..!

-IBLB-
11th Jun 2005, 07:41
Good luck on your test.

Should be no problem. Almost the same things as in a JAA PPL, just the ground ref man's are new i think.

nouseforaname
11th Jun 2005, 21:32
thanks very much.

Got to do a Multi Engine instrument check ride on sunday, then the oral part of the private check ride on monday and then the flying part on Tuesday!!

i will be v. glad to get home!