PDA

View Full Version : Darn it...

Grass strip basher
8th Jun 2005, 17:20
After a year looking for the right group to join I finally took the plunge and bought a share in a great little aircraft early this year... all went swimmingly for the first few months... best money I ever spent.

Then disaster.... I get a call informing me that it has been put down in a field by another group member and as a result could be a written off (thankfully no-one was hurt).

Whilst the cause of the accident has not yet been determined I was wondering where I now stand with the "group" having potentially made an "insurance claim" potentially for the entire hull value.

Given the accident was nothing to do with me does this have an adverse impact on the insurance company's view of me individually??

If the aircraft is written off I would definitely look to join another group but I would be gutted if it meant I was viewed as "higher risk" by the insurance company given I had nothing to do with the accident!

If I do face a hike in insurance premiums is this a significant hidden risk in group flying?? (an issue no doubt for broader discussion!)

Feeling a bit gutted at the moment and would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation

Oh well back to renting warrriors from me local club....

GSB

:( :sad: :(

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2005, 20:39
It might affect the groups insurance (some companies operate a limited no-claims discount, similar to car insurance), but unless you bent it, you won't be affected.

Every insurance form I've ever filled out for an aircraft asks the same question "have YOU had any accidents in the last 5 years".

G

Jodelman
9th Jun 2005, 07:39
The accident MUST be disclosed to any new insurer whatever the wording on their form. It is a material fact. Whether any penalty is imposed is a matter for the respective underwriter.

Rod1
9th Jun 2005, 07:54
I was in the same situation a few years ago. Asked the new insurance company's if it was a problem and was told if you were not personally involved it did not count, and that this was “normal practice”.

Rod1

Grass strip basher
9th Jun 2005, 11:37
Thanks for your replies... it is reassuring to know that it is likely that I won't be shunned by the insurance companies :O

Ni Thomas
10th Jun 2005, 13:52
Ah! But Yes -But No - But!

When my co-owner plonked our shared aeroplane down too hard and pranged the prop. etc:- :{
- The insurance paid up.
- He didn't fly again. :(
- I bought him out (selfishly keeping the plane to myself!). :E
- On insurance renewal, with just me as sole owner, they still debitted me with the loss of no claims bonus despite me not having anything to do with the damage & never having ever damaged the plane in my ownership (shared or otherwise) - That's 19 years of no claims by ME - It would appear then that the aeroplane is to blame and it is the plane that loses the no claim - At least that's what happened in this case.:ugh: