PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall Strip Sought

Monocock
7th Jun 2005, 19:26
I have to go to the Royal Cornwall Agricultural show on Friday.

I flew daown several years ago and landed at St Merryn but it required a lengthy trip by taxi to the showground.

Does anyone out there know where I might find a strip (400m+) near to the village/town of Wadebridge.

All (sensible) suggestions welcome.

:cool:

BossEyed
7th Jun 2005, 19:48
How about Roserrow (http://domain786330.sites.fasthosts.com/airfield/index.php) ? 1 nm SE of Polzeath, and 700m grass.

You could even get a round of golf in as well, if you enjoy swishbuggrit. :D

QDMQDMQDM
7th Jun 2005, 21:57
Nice enough strip, slightly undulating. Here are some pics etc.:

http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/pages/airfields/roserrow.html

Three Blades
8th Jun 2005, 07:22
Roserrow also gets my recomendation. They are happy for you to arrive at any time even after the clubhouse is shut. Can be useful.

On a linked subject, does anybody know of a heli landing area around St Merryn ? I tried St Merryn itself last year but got a very unfriendly response from the owner when I enquired.

bar shaker
8th Jun 2005, 08:38
Mono

The runway at Davidstow is used by a microlight club and is just down the road from Wadebridge. I would call to ask if its suitable as it was getting a bit tired when I was there a couple of years ago.

Moorlands Flying Club, Davidstow (http://www.avnet.co.uk/mfc/)

Monocock
8th Jun 2005, 09:06
Thanks all

Have booked in Roserrow for a Thursday evening arrival (8pm)

Hopefully it'll be an evening like last night....

stiknruda
8th Jun 2005, 09:57
Is there a wee strip 450m+ near Helston?

Stik

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2005, 10:03
Nope, but I've used RNAS Culdrose before now, who were the sheer spirit of helpfulness and professionalism.

That said, it is I believe the busiest military airfield in the UK so you need to behave accordingly.

G

S-Works
8th Jun 2005, 10:30
Culdrose are indeed very accomodating. I go to Helston a lot.

However do remember if going for a weekend you have to arrive on the friday and you cant get back to the aircraft until monday morning.

Three Blades
8th Jun 2005, 10:45
Newquay / St Mawgan is also a posibility but they charge for handling and that goes up by quite a lot after office hours.
I have hear roumours of parts of the old St Eval airfield being used by some light a/c but do not have any contacts etc.
If it is true then you would need to be carefull of all the antennas there now.
The 'friendly farmer' breed in that part of the world seems to be thinly distributed.

stiknruda
8th Jun 2005, 11:18
WR

I'm going to Bodmin for the aero comp on 9Jul but have been invited to overnight with friends nr Helston on Sat. To save them driving me to and from my aircraft 30 miles away I thought that it would be better if I parked it nearer!

Stik

QDMQDMQDM
8th Jun 2005, 11:40
Watch out for stones at Davidstow. It is not generally recommended by pilots around here.

QDM

muffin
8th Jun 2005, 11:49
How about Predannack? Or as a satellite of Culdrose would it also be non available at weekends?

S-Works
8th Jun 2005, 12:18
Preddanick is rarely available during ops hours let alone a weekend. It is the satellite to Culdrose and so is heavily used for training.

My house in Cornwall virtually backed onto it and I have never managed to get approval to land there. Shame really as it has a lot of runways!

There is a strip at four lanes that is about 10 mins from Helston which will take your Pitts Stik. Good condition as well.

stiknruda
8th Jun 2005, 12:27
Bose - do you have contact details for the Four Lanes strip.

Three Pitts Specials for one Saturday night, noise sensitive arrivals, civilised mid morning quiet departure on Sunday.

Thanks

Stik

Circuit Basher
8th Jun 2005, 12:31
a la Sheffield, eh, Stik??!! ;) :D

S-Works
8th Jun 2005, 12:47
No probs, I will look it up when I get home this evening.

:cool:

Legalapproach
4th Jul 2005, 20:17
Stik,

What was the strip at Four Lanes like? Have to go to Helston in a couple of weeks. As already said Culdrose closed from lunch on Friday to Monday morning. Last time I landed at Truro which is a lovely little field but the taxi to and from Helston cost the best part of £100!

Fournicator
5th Jul 2005, 15:01
Spot of good luck that I saw this thread. Hopefully (wx permitting) going down to cornwall this weekend, to see girlfriend in Polzeath, the aeros comp at Bodmin and the Air Race at Compton Abbas on the way back. Didn't realise that there was an airstrip so near to Polzeath, so had been planning on getting a taxi to Polzeath from Bodmin. Now I now better I'll hopefully be spared the taxi fare and also be able to broaden my flying experience - great stuff!

Thanks for the help, even though I didn't know I needed it! Now I'm just intrigued about how the lovely lady has failed to notice the airstrip......