PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to Luton Approach

dwshimoda
6th Jun 2005, 09:41
My thanks go to Luton Approach, who gave me SVFR passage on not just one, but four occassions over the weekend - this despite me being lead to believe it was tricky to get a zone transit!

It was a very novel experience being asked to make as much speed as possible as inbound traffic was a 737 - I was in a Cessna 150, so I hit max "thrust" and got nearly 105 KIAS!!!

As an aside, if there's anyone from Luton on this board, is it possible to visit the unit, or is it a no-no in these paranoid days of terrorism?

DW

2Donkeys
6th Jun 2005, 10:32
Why were the transits under SVFR? The weather wasn't that bad this weekend. Was this at night?

2D

dwshimoda
6th Jun 2005, 10:49
Sorry - wrong term - it was a VFR transit through Class D airspace.

I was simply wishing to thank them for accommodating me - been told by many people that it's often hard to get through Luton - my experience, based on these two days, is that they did just about everything possible to accommodate me.

AIRWAY
6th Jun 2005, 11:15
Im learning to fly from Luton Airport, and everytime i have lessons booked and go flying the chaps @ the tower are 100% very helpfull no complaints at all.

Regards,
TB10-Student Driver :O :ok:

Flap 5
8th Jun 2005, 17:27
I didn't think Luton had an 'approach' anymore. I thought it was now London Control who dealt with Luton Approach.

Evil J
8th Jun 2005, 17:44
It is done from "London Control" as you put it, actually terminal control (TC) at West Drayton (Swanwick from 2007) - it is however still called "Luton Approach" or "Luton Radar", the same as Esex Radar, Gatwick Approach/Director, Thames Radar etc etc

I'm sure almost professional can recount tails of when Luton had its own "Luton Approach"...... (i've seen the photos!!!!)

LTNman
8th Jun 2005, 20:27
Remember the days when runway 08 didn’t have an ILS and aircraft had to be talked down to half a mile from touchdown. After that they were on their own. There was then a deafening silence before you would here that the aircraft had landed or was going around.

vintage ATCO
9th Jun 2005, 18:23
Been there, done that, still wearing the t-shirt. ;)

TC_LTN
10th Jun 2005, 07:39
I don't think that t-shirt fits anymore :D

dwshimoda, pm me and we can sort out a visit.

dwshimoda
10th Jun 2005, 09:31
TC,

Thanks - PM sent.

DW

vintage ATCO
10th Jun 2005, 17:52
I don't think that t-shirt fits anymore

One size fits all! :p

Did over 500 half-mile SRAs on the ACR430 before it suffered a melt-down, not long after Chernobyl! :D:D:D
Think we wore the poor thing out. :(

LTNman
12th Jun 2005, 17:16
I am sure one of the contributors here can answer a question I have had for the last 10 years. Why does runway 26 have a threshold that is displaced by 85m when the runway is at the top of a hill?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2Donkeys
12th Jun 2005, 19:21
I would speculate that the displacement is to achieve the required RADALT stability for Cat II or possibly III ops in the immediate pre-touchdown phase. There is quite a rise in the ground immediately prior to the 26 turning circle. You'll see this referenced in the AIP approach plate.

2D

40 yearflyer
12th Jun 2005, 20:18
Nice to see Luton ATC so accomodating. There are when not so busy. Took a student in on an ILS in1995. The inevitable happened- a vehicle on a runway inspection -'please go round at 400 ft height.' The very bit lost that he has spent £300 for that hour hoping to get i.e. the sensitive 'bit' down to DA ( or DH in this case). You cannot get FIS around Luton. You can get RIS if ATC not so busy. You usually get transits but ask for early frequency change before you plough through or above the adjacent ATZ on the Southern boundary. I am only being a little bit sarcastic. Good luck to any airport that gets busy and cannot take trainers. Birmingham do a superb job doing their 'bit' with trainers. Luton, I have stopped asking.

vintage ATCO
14th Jun 2005, 17:24
The displaced threshold has been there since the runway was built, I believe, when Cat II/III was just someone's dream. During my tenure I tried to find out why it was displaced but never did. I know there use to be some trees on the approach, I can only assume the threshold was displaced to avoid these rather than use a chain saw!

Or it might have been because the GP system originally used needed a larger area of flat ground in front of the antenna. After all, for many years an ILS system couldn't be used on 08 but now it can.

Anyway, the LDA isn't critical (unless you're in a DC8 on a wet runway ;) ) so I doubt anything will be done now.