PDA

View Full Version : Securi-TAY, securi-TAY, securi-TAY. Bollocks.

Spodman
6th Jun 2005, 04:48
Encountered the concept of a third level emergency reading my BAK book this week.

MAYDAY - blah blah blah

PAN PAN - blah blah blah

Third Level Emergency: The "safety" signal is "Security" (pronounced as "SAY–CURE-IT-TAY"). This word should also be said three (3) times: "SECURITY - SECURITY - SECURITY!". This signal should be used to warn of conditions that may affect boaters in that area. Some examples are storm warnings, hazards to navigation (such as a huge log or other objects that could damage a boat) or alerts from large ships when they are going to be in a narrow channel. ("Security - Security - Security, this is the car ferry Badger. We will be at the Ludington pier head in 20 minutes.")

(My book talks about aircraft examples, but the above was googled so I didn't have to type it)

Do you think your workmates would respond with anything but bemusement to the above safety signal? When the pilot gets to details about the "huge log" he just laid in the cockpit I reckon I'd get the idea, but???

divingduck
6th Jun 2005, 09:52
Spod old son, you have to get out more:}

We hear it all the time on marine channels, it's always a good heads up to listen and get ready to copy.

Not everything is bollocks just because you haven't heard of it before....although I do think that saying PanPan 3 times is just that.:E

Spodman
6th Jun 2005, 10:28
by 'bollocks' I mean 'Erm, do you realise that if you say this I will be so perplexed I may not even listen to what comes next. Is this a general view???'

Praps not a 1:1 word transformation, but it captures the ethos.

What I mean is, would anybody else know what it meant? Has anybody else heard it on an (air/ground) radio???

LXGB
6th Jun 2005, 11:39
I hear it plenty in the UK spod. Warnings of Temporary Danger Areas and such on 243.

LXGB

Honey Monster
6th Jun 2005, 17:28
When I started back in the 60's, SECURITE was in ATC use. It was dropped in the UK about 30 years ago.

Reg

J Urby
6th Jun 2005, 22:26
A long time ago, in a distant galaxy....(sorry the force was taking over!), when I used to work on a bombing range, (i'll give you 3 guesses where), we used to listen to Ch16, the Coast Guard channel and the first time I heard one of the "Securetey" broadcasts was when they were looking for an overdue trawler, the Piscado IIRR. It wasn't found for a while and then turned up in Posideon's locker along with her crew. So I always took more notice of the calls since then.

Hippy
6th Jun 2005, 23:15
J Urby:
when I used to work on a bombing range, (i'll give you 3 guesses where)

Erm, Wainfleet?
Donna?
Vliehors?

Bugger!

Anyway, you hear it all the time in French waters, every time the CG issues a weather forcast:

"SAY–CURE-IT-TAY" "SAY–CURE-IT-TAY" "SAY–CURE-IT-TAY"
"ALL SHEEPS" "ALL SHEEPS" "ALL SHEEPS"
"Blah blah in Frogees"

Bern Oulli
9th Jun 2005, 19:22
Hi Honey Monster (similar vintage!). Didn't "Securite" stay in use with the Mil pilots for some time after, if not until now? I have heard it on the air band, admittedly a looong time ago.

Regards to you Reg.

Pedro

LXGB
9th Jun 2005, 20:20
As stated above, it's definitely still in use in the UK.
I hear it at least 3 times a week on UHF Guard.

Cheers,
LXGB

Honey Monster
10th Jun 2005, 01:41
Bern Oulli

I worked much of my time prior to being posted to the College in the R&D world at both Farnborough & Boscombe Down.

We worked on MATS for the civil traffic & JSP 318 for the Military customers. I do not recall Securite being in use with the military after it was dropped from the civil world.

Maybe my brain is wearing out.

Reg

Firestorm
10th Jun 2005, 11:32
Having spent a year or a'fore the mast, I used to hear it alot at sea as a prefix to a general hazard warnig transmitted by HM Coastguard, and very useful it was too. When ever the 'securi-tay' prefix was heard, the bridge would go silent, and everyone's attention was on the signal being passed.

I've never heard it used in the air, but maybe it could be re-introduced to pass weather and turbulence reports, and such like. If a message is passed by ATC under the securi-tay prefix then it does not need to be acknowledged or replied to, just noted, thus passing information expeditiously, but not over burdening the frequency: God knows there's enough life histories being broadcast everyday!

Spodman: I'm sure I should give you some credit for having taken the time to look up what it meant, seeing as you hadn't encountered the term before, but I think your attitude of what a load of b**lix is pretty ignorant.

Skase Jnr
10th Jun 2005, 11:52
Firestorm,

To call a Melbourne controller ignorant would not be an insult but a truism. We are in the 21st century and have the possibility of using such technological advances as AIDC messaging or auto handoffs but not to Melbourne. So to question that they haven't heard of 60’s phraseologies is unreasonable. Shame!

:p

CUNIM
10th Jun 2005, 18:05
Er Wot! Fightin' talk there Skase. I wuz in the centre in Essenden in the 60s, un we wudna be so higgerent to not know wat er sec.. er...secur...oh thingy call was. 'cept if it was over the HF link to Adelaide:}

Tha' what?
13th Jun 2005, 10:30
It's still in use in the UK, hear it all the time on 243, and I have to say it's most useful! How else are you to find out about TDA's and the like once the wheels are up!