PDA

View Full Version : Witch runway would be better?

flyinGuppy
5th Jun 2005, 21:05
I would like to ask you pilots a hypothetical question.

Suppose you have a runway with a TORA of 1745 meters and a LDA of 1585, equipped with an ILS.

Suppose you have another runway with a TORA of 1850 and an LDA of 1700, equipped with a locator DME approach.

Now your company wants to fly to one of these destinations, and putting apart commercial reasons, (suppose it's profitable to fly to either destination, but you can only fly to one) they ask you from an operational point of view, witch one would you consider better to fly to:

If your equipment it’s an A320?

Or if your equipment it’s a B757?

And also witch would be better if you need about 50% of the aircraft range to do the trip, and if you need 75% of the range of your aircraft.

Tank you for the attention

Rui Medeiros

dusk2dawn
6th Jun 2005, 05:21
Have no idea how a 320 works performancewise but the 75 is a can-do birdie.
Your question is probably best answered by comparing the resultant economics after analyzing the performance of both aircrafts.

Astra driver
6th Jun 2005, 17:44
"Witch Runway"
As opposed to one of those "Muggle Runways"?

FE Hoppy
7th Jun 2005, 13:04
whats the weather normally like?
are they close and the only ones around?
what is your landing perf like at estimated weights?

not enough info to make a call..

Guern
7th Jun 2005, 20:06
Witches use runways??? You learn something new everyday. ;)

Milt
8th Jun 2005, 00:08
All depends on the performance of the broomstick !!

flyinGuppy
8th Jun 2005, 02:11
aaa... right, sorry every one for the huge mistake!

and tanks to the you who tried to awnser me.

I understand this isn't something you would just know, as there are too many variables.

The reason I asked is because in the Azores there are two islands that lay close to each other, and every tourist comes here not only to see one, if you fly to one of them you are sure to vist the other and some times even some other not so close by islands.

The airports are separated by about 10 nm, and one is 1745 meters long and the other 1647, but its planing the extension of the runway to 1850, the reason being to be able to atract charter flights, and I was thinking if it is a good reason , because the 1745 meters runway is geting an ILS and the future1850 is going to have terrain limitations that makes it dificult to either instal an ILS or expand further if nedded.
Its always good the have a bigger runway, but it's atracting charter flights, in this case, a valid one?

Tanks again, and sorry about my english

Rui Medeiros

sky9
8th Jun 2005, 07:47
I would have thought that the answer depends on a number of factors, some of which could be:

1 Which airport and island would the Tour Operators prefer?
2 Which island has the best developed hotels and infrastructure.
2 The prevailing weather conditions (Funchal does reasonably well without any low minima approach aids).
3 The take-off performance of 757/A320's to enable them to guarantee a full load direct return flight to Northern Europe.

OverRun
9th Jun 2005, 05:47
flyinGuppy,

Hey - your English is a lot better than my Spanish.

As some of the others have said, there are many factors to consider and there is no easy answer. But there is a short answer - the operation is on the limit and to make a guess is wrong. I have checked the operation for Azores-Frankfurt for the 757-200 and the 737-800, and the runway need varies from 1600-2000m before any consideration of obstacles or runway slope. The aircraft can maybe take off with a full load and maybe not. The answer depends on which airport you are flying to, which engine power the aircraft has, and what the terrain limitations are. You could easily have to off-load 40 passengers or more in summer, or even 60-70 passengers if terrain limitations apply. This is too close to give an answer. Sometimes these questions are easy, but this time is not.

You need a full study, and all the things that sky9 and the others have said will have to be considered. The runway extension could cost 5-20 million dollars or even double that if the taxiway is extended as well. Time for $0.1 million for a good study before someone starts building.

sky9
12th Jun 2005, 19:38
OverRun,

I think that they speak Portuguese in the Azores. :D

OverRun
13th Jun 2005, 05:51
Peço desculpa, mas sou austrália. É muita areia para a minha camioneta.

flyinGuppy
14th Jun 2005, 15:52
OverRun,

Muito obrigado pela sua atenção! I wouldn't know you speak australian in Australia if it wasn't a well know contry, its hard to keep track on all those languages!

And tank you all for your replys

Best Regards
Rui Medeiros