PDA

View Full Version : just a few questions

as737700
4th Jun 2005, 22:05
Hi,

I don't know if there are any Delta pilots here, because these are directed toward them. However, it should be easy for any other Longhaul pilot to answer them too, so go ahead.

1. Do you require a special clearence delivery when you are flying over the Atlantic? Do you recieve the clearence from Atlantic Oceanic?

2.When I visit the cockpit on Delta flights, the relief pilot is never in the cockpit. When there are 3 pilots on board for long flights, does the relief pilot have any duties before the flight? If so, what?

Thank you for your answers

as737700

+'ve ROC
4th Jun 2005, 22:17
I believe that trans-atlantic routings are given by Canadian ATC for east-bound and OATCC in Scotland for west-bound. (In the north atlantic at least)

Pilots have to report to the relevant CTR every 10deg of latitude because of the lack of radar cover over the ocean.

Im sure somebody with a greater depth of knowledge can confirm / deny this.

spoilers yellow
5th Jun 2005, 12:05
Oceanic clearances are normally recieved around 30mins before the entry point into the OCA, either via an ACARS request or on a designated VHF frequency.
Ir routing UK - westbound the clearance will come from Shanwick control, who will do their best to give you what you ask for in terms of level speed etc, on the US -east bound the clearance usually comes on a VHF frequency either from gander in canada of if routing carribean - UK , from New york control.

Once in the OCA you flt at a fixed Mach no. and flight level and you make HF position reports to the relevant controller every 10 degrees of longitude,( 777 and Airbus have auto postion reporting called CPDLC).

Regards to heavy crew, the 3rd crew member is often asked to do the pre flight walk around, and various other tasks that allow the operating crew to carry out their tasks, all 3 will be involved in briefings etc as essentially the flying still remains a two crew job but the 3rd set of eyes is always useful to have.