PDA

View Full Version : Computerised Logbooks???

Blighty Pilot
3rd Jun 2005, 17:03
Just wondering if anyone has got any experience of computerised logbooks and if they can recommend any.

I have seen one advertised on the transair website (skylog). It states that the software is JAA/CAA/FAA approved/compatable but I was wondering how user friendly the software is and if it also keeps a track of duty times/limits.

Thanks for your help B.P :ok:

-IBLB-
3rd Jun 2005, 17:52
I'm using flitelog from jeppesen now. It's okay, but some things are a little strangely set up.

Personally i think logbookpro is great (www.logbookpro.com). The only problem for me is that i keep my times in minutes, and logbookpro so far can only keep track in the decimal system (ie 1.1 instead of 1hr06min) I am waiting for the v2, which should have that function.

-IBLB-

Engineer
3rd Jun 2005, 18:58
Create your own using MS Excel and save yourself some money :O

superpilut
3rd Jun 2005, 20:20
Support your local economy and get yourself Skylog Pro.
Except for helping fellow Britons. you'll get a great program with all imagenable functions and te best techsupport in the world!!
Check out:http://www.skylogservices.co.uk/

mcdhu
4th Jun 2005, 08:50
Yup, I second that. Skylog Pro works for me, is acceptable to the CAA, and is easy to use. A snip at £50 odd quid.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Daysleeper
4th Jun 2005, 13:39
I've been using skylog pro for a few years. Its fairly painless though I've been running it in virtual pc on a mac laptop.

Just built a pc desktop so I'll prob update to the latest version to run on that.
Nice thing bout electronic logbooks is the backup. I keep a copy of the data files on my laptop, monthly send to a server farm in california. Another on a cd once a year along with some other stuff which I give to a mate or family member in an envelope with a stuff that on a drawer and forget it instruction.

phlop
5th Jun 2005, 11:08
There is only one logbook worth looking at. It is MYLOG available from airsoft.com.au and is FREE for a month's trial. It costs about half of the available ones in the UK and is FANTASTIC. It calculates in Hours and minutes or Hours and decimal hours- your choice and is easy to adapt to ones own preferences. There is also ongoing improvement to the program and it will also calculate your allowances and warns you of impending exceedences and VISA and License lapse dates etc. etc. The best part is the printout which is exceptional. It'll cost you nothing to try. I'd like to hear your impression as I have been using it for three years and think it's fantastic. :ok:

dv8
5th Jun 2005, 15:39
I recomend www.fliteware.co.uk Works fine. Good value for money, and I find a better presentation than Sky log

edit for correct url

Blighty Pilot
5th Jun 2005, 19:54
Thanks for the info folks I shall have a look at all the different packages.

azdriver
5th Jun 2005, 20:07
Guys,

any software for Mac?

many thanks
AD

alexban
7th Jun 2005, 14:10
one interesting program is this...http://www.skymarktechnologies.com/pocketaloft/default.asp.....
Give it a try and I would like to hear your thoughts...i'm not yet convinced to buy it,but...

411A
7th Jun 2005, 14:25
Yes, there could be a trap for professional pilots.

Some years ago when I was joining a SEAsia airline (small then, the biggest now) one guy showed up with a 'computerized' log book of sorts...IE: complete computer print outs from his previous airline (JAL) showing flight/duty times etc.
All very neat and tidy, but unfortunately completely unacceptable to the relevant DGCA.
No personally filled out/properly bound/endorsed by the DirOps log book, no local license, no job...period.

A lesson learned the hard way, for sure.

xetroV
7th Jun 2005, 23:25
Most CAAs may have moved into the 21st century, but some, such as the Dutch CAA, still live in the Middle Ages. :ugh: