PDA

View Full Version : Air India B777 makes 'emergency landing'

hasell
3rd Jun 2005, 09:21
Apologies if this has already been posted:-

Subject is an AI flight from Mumbai to JFK which made an emergency landing.

http://www.reuters.co.in/locales/c_newsArticle.jsp?type=topNews&localeKey=en_IN&storyID=8682237

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Jun 2005, 09:28
<<and asked for permission to land>>

That's the sort of phrase I love! In my life in ATC I worked over a million flights... and not one them asked me for permission to land!!

lomapaseo
3rd Jun 2005, 12:18
That's the sort of phrase I love! In my life in ATC I worked over a million flights... and not one them asked me for permission to land!!

OK, but at an off-line airport what does get communicated? Certainly the guy in trouble doesn't just guess at runways and pop out of the mist at 1000 ft AGL etc. Isn't there some sort of communication ?

InitRef
3rd Jun 2005, 15:30
Been a bad few weeks for AI.

couple of weeks ago - one of their 744s had a tailstrike on take off from FRA, not noticed until arrival in LAX. AOG for over 10 days with "severe structural damage to APU housing"

Another one had radome damage in LAX, and the Pres of India is using a 744 for his European jaunt.

3 out of a fleet of 11 744s really screwed up their schedules, and now this....

av8boy
3rd Jun 2005, 20:57
Isn't there some sort of communication ?
Certainly! Coordination via R/T will have been the hallmark of this event. HD’s just making a point about the semantics (or syntax… I’m having a hard time deciding on this one). As a general rule (read “statistically never”), aircrew do not “ask permission” to land. Rather, it’s more of a case of them declaring their intentions. That’s not a bad thing. Supplication tends to take up so much radio time anyway… ;)

In the case of this particular aircraft, the story includes the word “fire.” Off-line or not, permission-asking is highly unlikely.

treadigraph
3rd Jun 2005, 21:40
In my life in ATC I worked over a million flights... and not one them asked me for permission to land!!

'Cos you worked on take offs mate! :ok: