PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew Info Please!

BigHeadNuts
2nd Jun 2005, 21:02
Hi guys,
i intend to apply for the RAF this year but am unsure of what to apply for. I originally wanted to be an engineer, but the WSO'p Crewman role also really appeals to me.

I was just after some more info on the Crewman role. How long do you spend working on the different aircraft? How long can you spend as a SAR winchman/winch operator?

Would it be possible to progress from an WSOp to a WS Officer after a few years?

Answers to these questions as well as any other general information that you think may well be of use to me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Yeller_Gait
2nd Jun 2005, 22:00
This subject is a recurring theme, and has been re-visited several times.

I would suggest that you do a search in all the threads, use keywords such as "NCA", and the like. I am sure that you will find most if not all the information you need. If you still have any questions, come back to this thread.

By the way, I would highly recommend NCA, whatever branch you chose (get chosen for you).

Y_G

Fg Off Bloggs
3rd Jun 2005, 08:51
To set the record straight, you need to differentiate between WSOp and Loadmaster (LM). Not all Non-Commissioned Aircrew (NCA) are now WSOps. Predominantly, it is LMs who carry out the duties of winchman/winchoperator or rear crew on helicopters. WSOps tend to fulfil electronic type jobs on Nimrods.

Take a look at:

RAF CAREERS (http://www.rafcareers.com/)

for the definitive.

bwfg3
3rd Jun 2005, 10:48
You are a little wide of the mark Mr. Bloggs. Im on 55 at Cranwell and ALL NCA students are now designated as WSOp. The initial generic phase of 20 odd weeks is completed THEN the students are streamed by B flight and sent on to either C flight for advanced training, or the WSOp( crewmen) selected for rotary disappear to Shawbury. The main point that the original poster may be interested in is that at the streaming stage you will be selected by a board which includes people from Innsworth, so you will be streamed on percieved strengths and also service needs at the time. To summarise: after 26? weeks your trade will be, WSOp (crm) rotary or fixed wing, WSOp(Acoustic) or WSOp(EW).
Course No 1 is running now on generic phase. Apparently in the future the chaps can return to retrain on the advanced bit, so its possible for a helicopter crewman to switch to being a EW operator on Nimrod if they choose to do so,( or the RAF needs the bodies).