PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL Skills Test

hekokimushi
2nd Jun 2005, 15:36
Hi guys.

been practicing for force landing, steep turns, various landing techniques, and procedures. passed all ground exams and RT.

worry about the skills test. what kind of questions are likely to be asked during the check ride (skills test)??

any hints would be appreciated.

PPL trainer

Blinkz
2nd Jun 2005, 16:16
checkout the PPL diary in the forum, theres is quite a lot of PPL skill tests written up there (mine included!)

The examiner isn't going to expect you to repeat any of the exams in the air/before you start or anything, however he will most likely ask you relevant questions to what you are going to be doing. I was asked a number of questions whilst I was doing the preflight check..'What does this do?...Why does it do it? etc' Most of which you should know, the examiners not trying to catch you out.

hekokimushi
2nd Jun 2005, 16:25
thanks for that. :)

yeh, i sort of looked into the diary. but many many pages :p
will take a look at the technical side of things as a revision.

thanks

:)

Blinkz
2nd Jun 2005, 16:28
the PPL tests are all at the end of the diary so checkout the last cpl of pages.

Whopity
2nd Jun 2005, 22:23
The examiner will want to know that you understand the aeroplane and its component parts. Any checks that you do, you should know what you are doing and why you are doing it. i.e. The Mag checks!

In other words are you safe to operate the aeroplane?

DB6
3rd Jun 2005, 08:03
As an examiner myself I recommend that you have a look at guidance for PPL skill test applicants (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1206) if you haven't seen it already. As for the class rating questions, just make sure you know a bit about the aircraft you will be flying e.g. how does the stall warner work, what type of ailerons are fitted ,what type of flaps? Have a look at the aircraft flight manual if you haven't already. Also there is a series of books by, I think, AFE which are in effect condensed flight manuals and are very good for the purpose. In the worst case remember that if you fail the class rating question part of the test you only have to retake that part and not the flying part. However I wouldn't recommend that as an exam tactic :D .
Good luck.

hekokimushi
3rd Jun 2005, 08:18
thanks for the advice DB6. yes i have checked up on the caa ppl skills test requirement.

what type of ailerons are there??? flaperons??? i am not sure what other types of ailerons... ouch..

me on the 152A, so... electric fowler flaps, differential airlerons... 3 hydrolic systems, brakes, shimmy and the oleo. Basic T ASI, Altimeter, Compass card, AH. Pressure instruments: ASI, Altimeter, VSI. (anymore?) Gyros: AH, turn co-ordinator, Compass Card (anymore?) Vso 40kts, Vr 50kts (flaps 10), 60kts (flapless) Vfe 85kts.

regarding the oil used. just flipped. can't remember the type used... anyone please point me in the right direction. Fuel is AV100L

very nervous with the test.

:ouch:

DB6
4th Jun 2005, 09:25
You sound pretty clued up, mate. Examiners can tell the difference between nerves and inability and your examiner will do his best to ensure that a pleasant rapport is established before you start.
Best advice I can give on the flying bit: if you think you've made a mistake, put it behind you. Examiners have discretion to repeat certain manoeuvres and few things are more impressive than a person's ability to focus on the job in hand and not dwell on mistakes until after landing. Besides, you might not have actually cocked it up as badly as you think, if at all.
C152's ailerons are indeed differential, but also of the frise design :ok: . Also the phrase 'compass card' can be taken to mean that little bit of paper next to the magnetic compass with the deviation figures on it. I think what you are referring to is normally called the DI or Directional indicator.

hekokimushi
4th Jun 2005, 10:50
ye i meant the DI...

frise design... just read about it.. :)
thanks for the comment regain a bit of confidence now.

why is it so that every Mass and Balance calculation comes out to be over the limit of the graph??... but yet... will be ok to fly.

now studying map and planning, its been a while since i did the cross wind calculation.

cheers.