PDA

View Full Version : Regional Airports Smelling the Coffee...

cdb
31st May 2005, 20:14
This Topic (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176807) raises an interesting point...

For years now, non-NATS towers have done very little in the way of training, usually taking NATS throw-aways from other courses. Of course, now NATS has woken up with the new course structure and started to reduce this waste of money.

So, what are the towers going to do? Will the day come when regional airports start paying their fair share of the training bill, or will it become like an ATPL where the pilot self-funds and then looks for a job?

And what about this supposed shortage of ATCOs? It doesn't really seem to exist at the moment because said airports still expect to recruit previously valid TWR and APR ATCOs and pay around 30k a year. When will the tide turn and unvalidated ratings be in demand?

niknak
1st Jun 2005, 09:59
Complete cobblers.

Non NATS Regional airports started "smelling the coffee" long before you could even spell ATC.

The vast majority have been investing thousands of £s in training their own staff, I admit that that NATS failures did get a look in in the beginning, but for many years now it has been local people who have been recruited initially as ATCAs and then given the opportunity to train as ATCOs should they choose to do so.
Its an excellent system, with a low failure rate, and a very good investment for the airport companies concerned.

As for current salaries and shortages, the average salary for ADC/APC/APR seems to be around £42K and is certainly not £30K.
Even ADC/APC gets around £35 -£40K.

There is still a shortage, the cyclic nature of the job seems to bring around an acute shortage every 5 years or so at non NATS airports, it's been manifesting itself over the last year, and 2005/2006 will see quite a lot of opportunities arising.
Who moves just depends on what the individual wants and whats on offer.

Although most airports have some trainees in place to take up forthcoming vacancies, its unlikely to be enough, and there are a number of ATS Managers sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes. :E

Evil J
2nd Jun 2005, 10:03
I would have thought NATS would have taken over the world by then anyway so it won't matter:O :ok:

Carbide Finger
2nd Jun 2005, 13:26
Destination 22 has been revealed!

Dizzee Rascal
2nd Jun 2005, 21:51
Even ADC/APC gets around £35 -£40K.

I hope my boss and the Finance manager reads this!;) ;)