PDA

View Full Version : Location for the next fly-in please.........

BRL
31st May 2005, 16:10
Hi all. Your ideas needed please for the next fly-in, due at the end of June, first week of July.

Gives us just over a month to sort something.

I will start with Shoreham of course, both tarmac and grass runways, excellent ATC, not bad food, two 'terminals'! :D

dublinpilot
31st May 2005, 17:04
How about somewhere on the west coast?

dp

Confabulous
31st May 2005, 17:45
Getting a little lazy DP? ;)

All right then, how about Waterford?

Windy Militant
1st Jun 2005, 09:33
Split the difference Withybush!

LowNSlow
1st Jun 2005, 09:40
I assume you mean Haverfordwest International Airport there Windy_M :ok: :ok: Sounds good to me, haven't been there for ages. Alternatively how about Old Buckenham (grass, tarmac and cardiac-arrest-on-a-plate All Day Breakfast) or have another stab at Elvington?

EddieHeli
1st Jun 2005, 12:04
As a matter of interest, how does one recognise fellow pruners at the flyins, do you all wear badges/caps/sweaters.
We (self and wife) flew to from Sywell to Lands End on Sunday, stopping at Dunkeswell on route. We flew back on Monday, stopping at Compton Abbas. When I got back and logged onto this forum I realised that if we had stopped the other way around, we could have met up with some pruners, as you flew to Compton Abbas on Sunday and Dunkeswell on Monday.

Look forward to meeting some of you at the next one, now we have our own plane again.

EddieHeli
Now Flying AA1B G-BBWZ

dublinpilot
1st Jun 2005, 16:02
Getting a little lazy DP?

:D

No; I'd never tire of flying!

But my wallet gets tired when it travels by air, for more than 2 hours in one direction. :{

Whirlybird
1st Jun 2005, 21:52
How about Sheffield....

1) While we still can - closing in a couple of years.
2) Pretty much in the centre of the country.
3) Easy to find - follow the M1 or M18. :ok:
4) Excellent cafe - fantastic choice of fillings for sandwiches, ciabattas, etc
5) Lots of room for the hundreds of ppruners who'll arrive. :)
6) I believe there are interesting things to see...if you don't spend too long eating and drinking, as we did.

squawking 7700
2nd Jun 2005, 07:24
And if it's Sheffield and you're heading home south, you can try a Dambusters run on the way back!

YYZ
2nd Jun 2005, 10:22
£21.00 to land at Sheffield! A bit on the steep side as I found out last week.
Never been to a fly in yet, but I would like to go, I would of assumed that it would be a small local airfield fly in? Therefore giving the small field much needed custom thus avoiding the larger businesses? Seems more practical? Or it might just be my Yorkshire roots pushing my money grabbing opinions forward?

YYZ

topcat450
2nd Jun 2005, 10:34
Sheffield is central as folks have said. I like it 'oop there.

Skegness?? Plenty to do there including buying knock-off goods from the nearby market.

Fenland - new chef does a mean Carvery by all accounts.

Tatenhill/Derby? just 'cause I've never been there.

Breighton? Lots of interesting stuff to see there.

Anywhere where Pilot/Flyer are dishing out free landings.

BRL
2nd Jun 2005, 10:47
Some one mentioned Little Gransden, £5 to land, free if you uplift. It is grass too.

£21 just to land is a bit much for a fly-in.

The cheaper the better really.

Bums on seats as they say...!

Penguina
2nd Jun 2005, 12:49
Little Gransden is difficult to find the first time, I think. Or to distinguish from Bourne. Especially because O/H joins are discouraged (if I remember rightly) so you can't even get a good ID of the runway orientation. I found it eventually with my mate on the A/G going 'left a bit, right a bit...' :O

On the other hand, it might be quite entertaining if that happens to a prooner!

Unless we all have GPS...

;)

Has Leicester been done yet?

AerBabe
2nd Jun 2005, 13:26
EddieHeli how does one recognise fellow pruners at the flyins

To be honest, some of us have known each other for several years now. It's not too difficult for those that haven't met any of us before though - just head for the large group of loud people. Or the person wearing the "Remove before flight" t-shirt. :O

Whirlybird
2nd Jun 2005, 13:28
I didn't think we'd paid as much as £21 at Sheffield, but I can't remember for certain.

Tatenhill is central, cheap, has a good cafe at weekends, and if I'm instructing, I can hopefully take a break and say hi. And if I'm not booked up in advance, you can have trial helicopter lessons if you like. :ok:

Derby is friendly, but has shortish, fairly challenging grass runways....not for all aircrafts or pilots.

Kolibear
2nd Jun 2005, 13:38
Penguina!!

Please write out 100 times - Bourn has a N-S concrete runway, Little Gransden has two roughly E-W grass strips.

(Although I have to confess that I've never found it either - another contender for The Invisible Airfield (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85827&perpage=15&highlight=invisible%20airfields&pagenumber=1) award maybe?)

AB - isn't it time you bought a new T-shirt?

Whirly - short grass runways? I'm starting to like them.

EddieHeli
2nd Jun 2005, 13:43
Derby is probably a bit too tight for me in my AA1, at the mo.
I went in in an R44 a while back and it seemed tight in that.
:(

Wouldn't mind Tatenhill as I have never been there and it seems fairly central.

AerBabe
2nd Jun 2005, 13:58
isn't it time you bought a new T-shirt?

I've got one - the one with the picture of the Blenheim on the back and "Lovely pair of Bristols" written on the front.

BRL
2nd Jun 2005, 14:09
Ok, Tatenhill looks like the one, I will give it a few days for other suggestions to come up.

Any particular day, Sat/Sun?

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Jun 2005, 14:25
Tatenhil is nice with friendly folk but there is no cafe or anything of that ilk afaik.

Leicester has; Old Buck has one too and they do fantastic burgers. Further west is Shobdon with equally pleasing catering facilities. Sleap is nice, to the west and good food.

Anyway I will be good and shut up now, promise I won't come. Last 2 times I went to one I was alone on my own Caernarfon and Coventry.

Ah well, I am used to being unloved :sad:

Whirlybird
2nd Jun 2005, 15:44
Flying' Dutch,

You're out of date. Tatenhill now has a cafe on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. If Margaret knows we're coming, she might even make more homemade cakes!

Sleap's cafe closed, but it's now reopened. However, they don't have nearly as good a choice as they did under the old management.

If we go to Tatenhill, I vote for Saturday, since I'm instructing there anyway on Saturdays. And if I'm not for some reason, I'll fly in in the C150. If it's anywhere else, I'd prefer Sunday.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Jun 2005, 16:39
W,

Just stood up to stand corrected!

:}

dublinpilot
2nd Jun 2005, 17:25
Would an arrive Saturday, depart Sunday be of interest to others?

If I can make the final destination/date I will be certainly staying over night.

dp

squawking 7700
2nd Jun 2005, 21:15
Tatenhill's cafe is good and Margaret's cakes are the best I've come across at any airfield.

I fly the Tatenhill based Decathlon CS so if anybody fancies a go,
I'll swap you for for a flight in yours, providing it's something 'different'.

Whirly are you instructing this weekend? I'll say hello as I'll be there Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Whirlybird
2nd Jun 2005, 21:49
No, I'm not there this weekend. :{

LowNSlow
3rd Jun 2005, 06:31
OK it looks like we have the location (although Derby sounds tempting) what about the date? I vote for the weekend of 25/26th July, prefereably the Saturday.

Kolibear
3rd Jun 2005, 06:56
err..... LnS - which calender are you using?

25/26 June is a weekend - can't make it or 23/24 July is a weekend - can't make that either.

How about 2/3 July , as Post No 1 did say end June/beginning July

EddieHeli
3rd Jun 2005, 07:24
25/26 June or 2/3 July is ok for me.

Off to the States on 16th July (till 3 Aug to include Oshkosh).

Laundryman
3rd Jun 2005, 07:33
So, you guys aren't in the PFA then TSK TSK TSK,
1-3 July Kemble Flying for Fun (Huge event) 25/26 June Isle of Wight Party Fly-in

stiknruda
3rd Jun 2005, 07:37
May I be so bold as to suggest Old Buck on Sunday 26th?

OB Airshow 05 (http://www.oldbuck.com/Airshow_2005/left_airshow_2005.html)

Lots to see and do but you will need to arrange an rv/contact methodology as it gets quite busy.

Stik

Whirlybird
3rd Jun 2005, 09:00
Clashing with Flying for Fun will mean a lot of people won't go. How about 25th June or 9th July?

LowNSlow
3rd Jun 2005, 10:09
Well spotted Kolibear , had a touch of brain slip there ;)

Why don't we all meet up at FFF? Most of the Ppruner's who are PFA members will be going anyway and for anybody who thinks it's only for people who build Flying Fleas it could be an eye opener.

dublinpilot
5th Jun 2005, 18:11
Just in relation to Sheffield's landing fee, there is a free landing voucher for June, in June's Pilot Mag.

dp

BRL
5th Jun 2005, 19:55
25th June, Tatenhill looks like the likely date. I will post somethng in a few days (on nights at the mo') possibly wed.

FFF at Kemble, if someone would like to start a new thread regarding that, I just don't have the time right now.

LowNSlow
21st Jun 2005, 11:13
Anybody still up for Tatenhill on the 29th? I'm going to try to make it but the builders are starting on Thursday so it might get zapped for me.

Kolibear
21st Jun 2005, 11:27
Not for me I'm afraid, some else has got the aircraft on that day.