PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Question Help

afterdark
31st May 2005, 15:54
Hi can anyone tell me the longest non-stop direct flight operated on a regular service by Air Canada on an A319, A320, or on a A321.

cheers

confort977
31st May 2005, 16:31
I think it is yyz-sjo on the 319

brucelee
31st May 2005, 19:52
there are several that could fit the bill but i'm not sure which one is the longest having been off the 320 for so long now. YYZ-SJO,
JFK-YVR, YYZ-MEX, YYZ-BDA(Barbados), YYZ- Caracas. These are all ove 5 hrs. For years there has been talk of doing transatlantic with 319s in all business class config but it's only talk for now.

MarkD
1st Jun 2005, 02:29
YYZ-UVF is 5.5hrs in a 319, or so it was last October when I last did it. Pretty tight turn for final too :D

BDA is Bermuda btw. Did you mean BGI?

Of all those listed above, YVR-JFK is longest in GC at 3941km although this takes no account of actual routings.

afterdark
1st Jun 2005, 09:51
thanks for the replies,
The reason for the question was simple, there has been a roumor flying around Glasgow (EGPF) in this last few days that Air Canada was in talks to extend it's summer schedule to all year round service using A319 equipment.
I thought it was better to ask here first, to see if it is possible or does anyone think it would be viable, considering the coverage Glasgow gets from charters Air Transat, Zoom all year round MYT, TCX and ACA on summer season.

brucelee
1st Jun 2005, 13:07
MarkD. Yep, always was dislexix(?) with those two BGI,BDA but always managed to find them thanx to MCDOO. UVF would be a bit of stretch. 319 transatlantic is quite doable. Lufthansa does FRA-EWR and JFK I think in all-exec config.

Inuksuk
1st Jun 2005, 15:39
PrivatAir currently operates six days a week out of Zürich, Düsseldorf and Munich to Newark and Chicago on behalf of Lufthansa and Swiss, using A319CJ and B737BBJ in I think a 48 seat buz class layout.

Rumours are an AC East Coast Run on the A319 from somewhere like Halifax out over the Pond - but they've been circulating for years. Could be in response to the WJ rumoured plan to potentially run 737NGs from the coast over the Pond. Understand they've been getting ETOPs certs - rumoured down to 120 mins by Fall - but that could be for the YVR-HNL run....

Anyone out there know more?

PS My vote for the longest current 319 service by AC is either Toronto-San Diego or Montreal-San Fran. Having never been on the A320 series, this is a guess...in case anyone wonders!

meaw
3rd Jun 2005, 20:10
Just thought of a few more:

YYZ-Bogota

Used to do Halifax-Vancouver in the summer.

Swerved
3rd Jun 2005, 20:56
A few summers back, I operated (as an f/a, in my previous life) MIA-YVR numerous times on a 319. Thanks to some nice winds, we took over six hours in the air on a few occasions... They were also operating BOS-YVR on a 319 back then as well. Great plane, but like the RJ, it CAN fly longer routes than it SHOULD, from a passenger's point of view.

Swerved.

MarkD
4th Jun 2005, 13:17
afterdark

Delighted as I would be with YYZ-GLA (and YYZ-SNN) year round, I'm not sure Mrs MarkD would be too thrilled - she was delighted to get off the 319 after 5.5 hours so I'm not sure how well a TA would go down, especially westbound which would probably clock in at 8+ hours! I'll have the BA 744 and the shuttle to GLA, thanks!

Might be some performance restrictions too, given GLA is 5299km GC.

Maybe extending YYZ-YHZ/YYT to GLA could work, as the slower flight might be compensated by a shorter stop/no change and 700km or so less route (GC measurement, via YYT) than via LHR T3 > T1(bmi).

With Zoom's 763ERs as competition it could be tough to stretch a point that far.