PDA

View Full Version : PSYCHOMETRIC TESTS ,how do you feel about them??

kaepa
31st May 2005, 07:02
many airline adopted different strategy applying these tests to pilots and to other staff ,

this subject was a big issue in kuwait airways last year , since the last management adopted the tests in germany for all pilots working in kuwait airways , but after a huge pressure from the pilots association here the tests are only applicable to newly reccruits and ab-intio pilots .
ofcourse we (the pilots) raised many pionts regarding the tests :

1. the language ( the tests should be in your first language )
2. it is not a requirment of any ICAO, JAA FCL
3. the benift of the result for an already recruttied pilot and the efficincy of such test to detrmine a pilot career
4. the Secrecy of the results and file keeping.(since it has a very private information)
5. the age of the pilot under the test ( old or young)
6. it could be used as a pressure tool on the pilot during his career for termination or upgrading ..... etc

we managed to persuade the managment of the company to only apply these test to the above mensioned categories.

the funny thing now the authorty here (dgca) are trying very hard to make these tests as a part of license although it is not written anywhere

so what do you thing about that ?, you could be next underthis lethal tool called " psychometric tests "

Piltdown Man
31st May 2005, 20:18
These are considered to be "tools" used to assess to candidate's personality and their psycological aptitude for the task for which they are being tested. However, remember that the people to write them get a fee for every test. The half-wits in Human Remains think they are brilliant for using them and we are the victims. They are also people who are easily led. These tests prove very little, if anything. Worry not Kaepa, I only know of two people who have "failed", neither are people who I would like to fly with. One is a 737 Captain and the other, still, works for a ground handling company. Just answer as truthfully and quickly as you can - no matter what the outcome, you will end up getting the job if you have impressed the "Right People".

kaepa
31st May 2005, 20:41
thanx alot Piltdown Man

exactly the point "half-wits in Human Remains think they are brilliant for using them and we are the victims"

i like that phrase , anyway it good to know that such tests are not welcomed by pilots internationally ,

I REFUSE TO MAKE SOMEBODY IS RICH OVER MY CAREER EXPENSES

PAXboy
31st May 2005, 23:34
The stated objective of these tests is to be objective. For HR they are a way of trying to automate the process. It allows them to use less skilled interviewers because the tests will do some of the work. It is meant to reduce their risk. If you fail the test then you MUST be wrong. Maybe not ALL wrong but something out of the ordinary.

My own view is that these tests are designed to flatten the recruitment process and get people who are, essentially, the same. Those who do not fit the mould are consider 'wrong', rather than say 'individualistic'.

They will never tell you what the test is looking for, because you might try and fix the result. Actually, they are VERY difficult to fix. I agree that the advice to just answer them is probably best.

I am not a pilot but have met these tests in I.T. recruitment and I always do badly because they want the questions to be answered by multiple choice from the answers they give. I always challenge the question and the answer given, "It depends" I will say. This shows that I do not fit the particular pigeon hole that they want. Therefore, as far as they are concerned, it is a good and valid result. They can reject me because I do not 'fit'. Might I have been a truly exceptional person in the field and they missed out? Possibly but they will say that the risk is too high. The more so for pilots.

If you fail the test it means nothing other than that you do not fit their stereotype and you look for another company. I now work in a field where I am my own boss and no one asks me these damm fool questions!

ps 'remains' = :ok:
--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Fropilot
10th Jun 2005, 00:42
Just be yourself and answer the questions thruthfully and there should be no problem if you are a normal guy. The first time they threw this at me I was not expecting it, shook me a bit but I got the job.

Miserlou
10th Jun 2005, 06:48
Where I may agree that a company can set as many hoops for an applicant to jump through as they wish and that these tests may even have some relevance there is a certain set of circumstances which makes a mockery of the airline who uses them.

An applicant can find himself in the situation where he has failed to get a job typically in a large carrier because of a test. He then gets a job in a smaller airline. If this airline then buys the smaller company and merges, then you have the paradoxical situation of a pilot who has been found 'unsuitable for employment' with the original company, working for that company in exactly the role he applied for and was refused!

How queer!

No_Speed_Restriction
10th Jun 2005, 08:12
Best solution I think is an informal chat then get thrown in the sim and let them make you sweat. after that I reckon they can form their own conclusions. As far as Im concerned passing a psychometric does not show an ability to command an aircraft to a suitable/acceptable level. Unfortunately those that can might get left behind due to not "fitting the company profile" in the psychometric department.