PDA

View Full Version : Paint on plastic lenses

ChampChump
30th May 2005, 23:36
Has anyone else achieved this unnecessary and stupid result of playing with aerosol paint and aeroplane?

When I came to clean the dust off my plastic, photochromatic varifocals, I realised it wasn't. The aeroplane looks better, but I've got a fine accumulation of synthetic overspray on my favourite bins. Is there any point hoping to get it off with nothing more than elbow grease?

I'm daft, but not daft enough to use anything serious on plastic.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Or any forum. I'm just annoyed with myself enough to need some sort of tongue lashing from the experts...

LowNSlow
31st May 2005, 06:24
Try polishing it of with non-gel toothpaste which is a very fine abrasive. I've used it to polish minor scuffs out of plastic lenses with some success.

stiknruda
31st May 2005, 08:27
try jeweller's rouge after the toothpaste.

Worked well on my plastic canopy bubble.

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
31st May 2005, 08:34
"Brasso" brass polish I think may also be worth a go. I've used it on my watch face and my iPod screen - works a treat.

tKF

effortless
31st May 2005, 09:16
before you do any of the above see if the paint will ping off with your nail. It may work. Unfortunatly the solvent in the paint may have bonded it to the lens.

ChampChump
31st May 2005, 13:56
Thanks everyone! I'm about to try the toothpaste and Brasso, reserving the jewellers rouge and a trip to the optician for later.

Fingernails already tried, but they only seem to work with bugs on the perspex....
I could use them to scratch my eyes out and resolve the problem, but it seems a little drastic.

I'll report back. Many thanks.
CC

And the results so far:

The toothpaste didn\'t have much effect, unfortunately (but it was only Coolmint) but tKF may be onto a winner: Brasso has removed most of the spec(k)s and I hope none of the photochromatic coating....which I\'ll discover very shortly.

If it did, can I sue Brasso, (Wreckitt and Coleman...)?

CC