PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Weather Radar.

Noah Zark.
30th May 2005, 23:05
Can anyone answer me this, please?
Will the weather radar fitted in an airliner detect another a/c?
If so, out to what sort of range, and how far above and below?
Thanks. N.Z.

swh
31st May 2005, 00:51
Noah Zark.

Yes they will, have seen them up to 100 nm away, the height will depend on the tilt angle set, our TCAS goes to 100nm and 7000 feet above and below, the wx radar can be tilted to see any traffic on TCAS infront.

They come up as round blobs, green on the outside, yellow in the middle, normally just a little further in range than the TCAS puts them.

You will also see magenta lines towards the aircraft one pixel wide, told to be military radar sending a pulse at the the aircraft.

:ok:

QNH1013
31st May 2005, 11:47
other aircraft can be picked up as described by Noah Zark.

I am curious about the radar 'spike' across the whole screen from our aircraft position on the screen which fans outwards the edge in whatever direction that we sometimes see. I heard it's when a radar (military?) is detecting our aircraft. Any one else got more info on that?

Jerricho
31st May 2005, 18:38
Could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you ;)

Noah Zark.
2nd Jun 2005, 21:47
Thanks for the info, guys. The thought just occured to me after I saw a 737 last weekend heading for the latest airport (heard him on the airband call in as being at 6k and descending)) going in and out of some nice fair weather lumps of cotton wool, and at the time I could see three G.A.a/c in front of him within a three-four mile arc.
I know ground radar would have them covered (I hope!), but, if what has been told to me is correct, that the radar concerned is operating from quite a way away until everything gets up to speed, and there is just a slight possibility of terrain masking due to the local topography.