PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Equipment

Pole Hill
29th May 2005, 19:47
Just been to Manchester airport, and I noticed two JET2 pilots with Maglites and another metal object on their belts. The other object almost looked like a fat foldered pen knife :confused:
Though I can make assumptions, what is the Maglite for? Also, what is the other metal object, and whats it for? The pilots were not wearing epaulettes (if at all its of relavence), but had flight bags with 737 sticker on the side. As a wannabe, Im just a bit curious.. :ok:
Thanks,
POL

The Greaser
29th May 2005, 20:03
Pilots with torches and tools - you must be kidding!

Piltdown Man
29th May 2005, 22:07
No, you are not allowed tools and torches, you might do something dangerous! The Retards in the Flight Prevention Department aka Gestapo or Security have to confiscate them because they are not allowed - because. These people can not have been pilots, they must have been something else!

Pole Hill
30th May 2005, 07:46
Thought it was strange when I saw them.
POL

Pilot Pete
30th May 2005, 07:57
two JET2 pilots with Maglites and another metal object on their belts

Corr, how cool must they have looked?:p

I can help with one of your questions;what is the Maglite for? It's for shedding light on a subject when ambient conditions prevent the eye from gaining a decent glimpse...;)

PP

ps, were they 'Anti-Gravity' belts like Buzz Lightyear has?

Pole Hill
30th May 2005, 08:14
PP,
Ah, I see. Maybe I should attach a Maglite to my belt then; I'd better buy the large 3C Cell version! The belt was just a normal belt around their trousers.

You all must think I am cracking-up :}. I concluded they were pilots by standard shirt/tie/trousers, but no epaulletes; they were both carrying flight cases with a B737 sticker on the back.
Oh, better go, its time to take my medication :)
POL

Rainboe
30th May 2005, 09:01
I've been carrying a 2D-cell Maglite around in my flight case almost since Maglites were introduced. It used to be a requirement to carry a torch for inflight, but these days airliners carry several rechargeable torches as part of aircraft equipment so it is not a requirement now. Very rarely does it get pulled out for inspection.

dv8
30th May 2005, 10:28
Just once I would love to walk through security at some of the more @nal airports with the axe that's stowed behind my seat
Just to see their reaction Perhaps then they will realise the confiscating my nail clippers and the comment 'You should know better Capt.!!' really doesn't makes any sense

Pole Hill
30th May 2005, 19:54
Thanks to all for the feedback :ok:
I think thats a good point dv8.
Thanks,
POL

banana head
30th May 2005, 20:05
Don't know about Jet2, but Line Maint Engineers in many companys wear pilot style shirts / ties, and many even use robust flight cases to carry doc's/ laptops, AMM's etc. ( sometimes even festooned with stickers of the LME's favourite type!)

In some cases they even wear epaulettes, generally with a purple stripe between the gold bars. ( Historically associated with Engineering )
Could you perhaps have eyed two such gents passing through security? ;)

In case you are interested, many will suggest on PPruNe that the purple stripes came about as a result of regal recognition of the bravery of Titanics engineers (who stayed aboard) - but the colour purple was used to signify engineering long before she had ever set sail.
In early military days before modern insignia, colours were used to signify different branches - and the Corps of Engineers wore purple..:)

Pole Hill
30th May 2005, 20:20
banana head,
Well there is my answer then, thank you.:)
Ands thanks for the extra information :ok:
POL

south coast
1st Jun 2005, 21:40
i will bet the other 'thing' was probably something like a leatherman.

i have carried one on my belt while flying in africa for the last 4 years, and have needed it on several ocassions.

security here is somewhat slightly more relaxed than in europe.

sometimes i donteven know why they make such a big deal about putting our bags through the x-ray machine when half the time it does not work or they dont even watch the monitor, funny none the less.